Tagged files - some troubles

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

PeterM

Tagged files - some troubles

Post by PeterM »

I have a folder with some tagged files.
  1. I want to drag a single file. It's not possible, because the "Please select which group to use" window is displayed and it breaks the dragging. If i select multiple files, dragging is possible. I think that this dialog should never be displayed when dragging. And always the selected files, whether a single or multiple, should be dragged.
  2. I want to delete a single file. Again, the dialog is displayed. This doesn't prevent me from finishing the operation, but it's very annoying. Similarly, this doesn't happen when multiple files are selected. Is this dialog necessary in this situation?
  3. What's the point of this dialog at all? Isn't it redundant? If I want to do any operation with tagged files (which I do quite often), I do Edit > Select tagged files. And then I perform the operation normally with selected files. That's how I did it in BreezeBrowser in the past. It's just one more click in comparison with the dialog. Wouldn't it be possible to remove that dialog or add an option to suppress it and always manipulate the selected files?
  4. I was reading some other discussions about tagged files. From some of them I had an impression, that I can tag files in multiple folders and then perform some operation (e.g. Copy) on all of them, including the ones in the other folders. This seems very dangerous and unwanted to me. I did some tests and found that this is not true. Only tagged files from the current directory were manipulated, when I selected "Tagged files" in the dialog. But just to be sure, can you confirm, that an operation with tagged files affects only the current directory?
BTW, XnViewMP is a great software and I'm surprised I didn't find it sooner.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Tagged files - some troubles

Post by xnview »

Please try the 0.93
Pierre.
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

0.93 fixes the issue 1 which was my main concern.
Thank you
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

PeterM wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:20 am [*]What's the point of this dialog at all? Isn't it redundant? If I want to do any operation with tagged files (which I do quite often), I do Edit > Select tagged files. And then I perform the operation normally with selected files. That's how I did it in BreezeBrowser in the past. It's just one more click in comparison with the dialog. Wouldn't it be possible to remove that dialog or add an option to suppress it and always manipulate the selected files?
If you select files, and you have tagged files, you want not always use tagged files
[*]I was reading some other discussions about tagged files. From some of them I had an impression, that I can tag files in multiple folders and then perform some operation (e.g. Copy) on all of them, including the ones in the other folders. This seems very dangerous and unwanted to me. I did some tests and found that this is not true. Only tagged files from the current directory were manipulated, when I selected "Tagged files" in the dialog. But just to be sure, can you confirm, that an operation with tagged files affects only the current directory?
[/list]
you can tag files in multiple folders
Pierre.