Auto line wrap in a text overlay derived from EXIF comment

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

phdchemeng

Auto line wrap in a text overlay derived from EXIF comment

Post by phdchemeng »

Hi,
I have been using XnView Classic quite a bit for batch conversions in the last year, so I have some familiarity with it, but now have a problem I can't solve, so I just joined the discussion board to ask the following question:

How do I get a long XPcomment EXIF field to automatically line-wrap when I print it on an image?
I am actually printing it in white space I added below the image using Canvas-resize. The problem is that the left-justified print goes off the white space to the right, truncates at the right edge basically, at the font size I am using. I know XnView is using all of the field, because if I reduce the font size to something very small, like 8, all of the XPcomment field is visible in the single line that prints. But I need to use a larger font so that if the image were printed on say 4x6 paper the text printed below it would be legible.
I don't have the option of reducing the length of the XPcomment; some of my photos need a large description.
And I know I could manually input the text and manually add line breaks if I were dealing with one to ten photos, but I have several hundred of them and I need to use the batch processing to pull that XPcomment field in to the printed image.

Further, I also tried the Irfanview tool for this. It similarly uses a canvas-resize to add a white space below the image into which I can print the XPcomment EXIF field (you have to specify field code 40092 to do so). Irfanview wraps the printed field perfectly, even putting the line break between words...BUT....irfanview truncates the print at 256 characters. Many of my XPcomments are longer than 256 characters, so this will not work.

So, the capability to read more than 256 characters in an EXIF field exists because XnView is doing it, and word-wrapping the print of that field on an image is possible, because irfanview does it, but neither software does BOTH, and I need BOTH.

BTW, I loaded XnConvert and XnViewMP just yesterday, and XnViewClassic within the last year, so they are current. Same for irfanview. All three products: XnViewClassic, MP, and Convert do not auto wrap the text, as I described above. And I am using Windows 8. I do have Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines, and could try this with them, but I assume this is not a Windows version issue.

So, restating: is there a way to have XnView automatically word wrap a text overlay created, during batch conversion, from an EXIF field like XPcomment that extends off the image?

XnView previously did everything I wanted, and I have been grateful to have it.

Thanks! for any help.
Chuck in Catonsville MD US
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Auto line wrap in a text overlay derived from EXIF comment

Post by xnview »

phdchemeng wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:16 pm So, restating: is there a way to have XnView automatically word wrap a text overlay created, during batch conversion, from an EXIF field like XPcomment that extends off the image?
you means 'Add Text' right?
Pierre.
Erik Bachmann

Post by Erik Bachmann »

It is very relevant when inserting IPTC strings on a picture using "Batch convert"

I usually resize the picture to 8K, resize the canvas to 8K TV format with the image positions on the left.
This leaves a nice blank area on the right hand side.
Then I insert {IPTC:Headline} and {IPTC:Caption} positioned to the right and
{IPTC:Location}, {IPTC:Sublocation}, {IPTC:City}, {IPTC:State} and {IPTC:Country Code} to the bottom right.

The problem is texts longer than aprox 30 bytes will cover the image.
Regards {ö} Erik Bachmann
URL: http://ClicketyClick.dk
Erik Bachmann

Post by Erik Bachmann »

BTW The flag is a watermark. Would be nice to load it using {IPTC:Country Code} in the path :D
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

could you send me a sample file?
Pierre.
Erik Bachmann

Post by Erik Bachmann »

I don't need to. You simply take the example provided. It has the IPTC included. :mrgreen:
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Erik Bachmann wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:49 pm I don't need to. You simply take the example provided. It has the IPTC included. :mrgreen:
not the screenshot, please send me the file :)
Pierre.