Category Filter shows each image double

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

holger

Category Filter shows each image double

Post by holger »

Hello,
I use XnView MP. When I apply the category filter to a category I see the thumbnail of each image twice in the browse window. It also looks like there are twice as many images per category. What can be the reason for this. Can I re-read the IPTC data of the pictures? I must say that the tags of the pictures were not written into the pictures with Xnview MP but with Picasa. Any ideas?
Many Thanks
michel038
XnThusiast

Re: Category Filter shows each image double

Post by michel038 »

Have you changed Settings > Catalogue > Base path ?
Do your photos contain iptc or xmp keywords ?
holger

Post by holger »

michel038 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:33 pm Have you changed Settings > Catalogue > Base path ?
Do your photos contain iptc or xmp keywords ?
Yes i changed the base path but the double images appears before i did the change.
I think the photos contains iptc but i am not sure. How can i check these?
Thanks
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

0) First, create a backup of your DataBase : When XnViewMP is stopped, copy the file "Xnview.db" into another place

1) I'm not sure about base path ...
Since I don'use it, I never encountered again this double count.

2) Some time ago, I thought that enabling both "Export" and "import" options in "Settings, Metadata" could make this count wrong ...

3) If folders were moved or renamed out of XnViewMP, it will count photos from new places, but previous were not deleted.
See also : Settings, Catalog. If some folders are shown twice, or at a wrong place (in this case, you can "relocate" them)

- Show metadata
You can show metadata : select a photo, and look for keywords (or xmp subject) in "Info" pane, IPTC or XMP or Exiftool tabs ...

If all your categories are already written as metadata keywords , you will be able to renew the whole database (= Catalog) to get the right count.
I'll tell you more about this if necessary ...
holger

Post by holger »

michel038 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:17 pm 0) First, create a backup of your DataBase : When XnViewMP is stopped, copy the file "Xnview.db" into another place

1) I'm not sure about base path ...
Since I don'use it, I never encountered again this double count.

2) Some time ago, I thought that enabling both "Export" and "import" options in "Settings, Metadata" could make this count wrong ...

3) If folders were moved or renamed out of XnViewMP, it will count photos from new places, but previous were not deleted.
See also : Settings, Catalog. If some folders are shown twice, or at a wrong place (in this case, you can "relocate" them)

- Show metadata
You can show metadata : select a photo, and look for keywords (or xmp subject) in "Info" pane, IPTC or XMP or Exiftool tabs ...

If all your categories are already written as metadata keywords , you will be able to renew the whole database (= Catalog) to get the right count.
I'll tell you more about this if necessary ...
First thanks michel that you look after my problems!

1. I delet the base path!
2. both is enabled enabled but i think i need both because i want to have the Keywords in the pictures.
3. yes allmost each Folder is double.

See also for more information the three screenshots.
What should i do next!
Screenshot 2020-12-05 154430.png
Screenshot 2020-12-05 154018.png
Screenshot 2020-12-05 153544.png
Thanks holger
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

- Don't forget to copy xnview.db

Choose a folder, 2015_08-09 Urlaub Frankreich for example, and find a photo with a keyword
-Go to settings, catalog. delete the first "2015_08-09 Urlaub Frankreich"
See if categories filter can still find the photo with this category. If yes, it's a good method.
If not, perhaps deleting the second one would have been better :mrgreen: (delete the second one and add "2015_08-09 Urlaub Frankreich"

-Delete the "right" folder of each in catalog ....

Another way :
I can't see if hierarchical keywords are used. That means that all your categories are "flat" without child category ?

Stop XnViewmp, delete Xnview.db file, start xnviewmp. Check if at last one category exists , either create one.
Go To settings, metadata, check "import" and not "export"
Go to settings, catalog
Add the parent folder for all photos ( Z:\Eigene_Bilder_Nas-HS ?) ... XnViewMP will read all keywords and build a new catalog
(sometimes, it happened that all counts stay to 0 no photos found. Restart xnviewmp, and add again parent folder.)
Go to settings metadata, check "export" and not import ...

Tell us which was the right method :D
holger

Post by holger »

michel038 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:25 pm - Don't forget to copy xnview.db

Choose a folder, 2015_08-09 Urlaub Frankreich for example, and find a photo with a keyword
-Go to settings, catalog. delete the first "2015_08-09 Urlaub Frankreich"
See if categories filter can still find the photo with this category. If yes, it's a good method.
If not, perhaps deleting the second one would have been better :mrgreen: (delete the second one and add "2015_08-09 Urlaub Frankreich"

-Delete the "right" folder of each in catalog ....

Another way :
I can't see if hierarchical keywords are used. That means that all your categories are "flat" without child category ?

Stop XnViewmp, delete Xnview.db file, start xnviewmp. Check if at last one category exists , either create one.
Go To settings, metadata, check "import" and not "export"
Go to settings, catalog
Add the parent folder for all photos ( Z:\Eigene_Bilder_Nas-HS ?) ... XnViewMP will read all keywords and build a new catalog
(sometimes, it happened that all counts stay to 0 no photos found. Restart xnviewmp, and add again parent folder.)
Go to settings metadata, check "export" and not import ...

Tell us which was the right method :D

With your first method it seems that this could work but not 100% so I deceide for the second way.
This way works ok. The only but is that I use hierarchical keywords. Luckily I made an export from all keywords before I delete the database. So tomorrow I delete the database again but before I let xnviewmp read all pictures I import the saved keywords.
I hope this will work!