How to add and check keywords?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

BogongBreeze

How to add and check keywords?

Post by BogongBreeze »

As I understand it, XnViewMP categories are separate and distinct from keywords, with categories stored in a separate database.

I'm used to having a hierarchical keyword structure and would like to know how to achieve this in XnViewMP. That is, to have hierarchical keywords embedded in the photo. From what I've seen, assigning a category does not assign keywords. (I'm also having trouble finding out how to check keywords already attached to photos.)

Hope the above makes sense. I'm trying out XnView for the first time so I might have got everything wrong. The program seems to be nice and fast and if I can figure out how to assign keywords to files easily (e.g. like LR), it looks as if it might suit my current needs. The main thing is I'd need to be sure keywords are embedded in the photo file so they can be read by any other app.

Any advice would be appreciated - or a link to a manual/guide that describes how to assign keywords.
michel038
XnThusiast

Re: How to add and check keywords?

Post by michel038 »

Hello,
As I understand it, XnViewMP categories are separate and distinct from keywords, with categories stored in a separate database.
Right
I'm used to having a hierarchical keyword structur
With XnViewMP, select a photo containing keywords, and read Info pane :
- IPTC tab, to see if you also have iptc keywords
- XMP tab , to see XMP flat keywords (xmp-dc subject [1 to n] ) and XMP-lr hierarchical keywords (also a list)
- ExifTool tab to see if you have anythiing else

if I can figure out how to assign keywords to files easily
Go to Tools, Settings, Metadata
-Enable "Export categories to keywords" to get LR hierarchical keywords
- and perhaps one of the two other options (for iptc and xmp flat kwds) to get same keywords as above.
I think XMP subject is the most commonly used since 5 years.
-For users who tag raw files, the best choice is to use "XMP Sidecar" here.

Now three steps to tag photos:
- Select a photo (or a set of photos)
- Check a category
- Unselect photos
(And there are other ways to go faster with categories when tagging thousands of photos... )

To show keywords
Select the photo again
See info pane, iptc, xmp tabs.
See also the count in "Categories Filter" that has been increased

If you want your photos that have already been tagged with other software to enter the catalogue (database), go to Settings, Metadata and enable the first option ("Import"), then go to Settings, Catalogue, and use the "Add" button to add the root folder containing your photos to be imported. This will take a while , about 1 min for 2000 photos.
Edit : "Add" button in now labelled "Import folder"
Last edited by michel038 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BogongBreeze

Post by BogongBreeze »

Thank you very much, @michel038. I think I've done what you suggested and ticked the boxes in the metadata settings.

I see that the XMP file is updated now and has the keywords. I checked it's doing what I was hoping for by importing a few files to LR. It's working just as I wanted, with LR showing the keywords including the hierarchy.

What confused me a bit was the IPTC tab also has a keywords section (Tools/metadata/edit IPTC...) and I thought that was where to put keywords but I couldn't figure out how to use it with categories. Should I ignore that part, since the keywords have been added successfully to XMP using your approach?

It might take me a little while to learn how to use XnView to the fullest, but so far it seems to be exactly what I need :D I've now found some videos and the wiki - which all helps.
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

What confused me a bit was the IPTC tab also has a keywords section (Tools/metadata/edit IPTC...) and I thought that was where to put keywords but I couldn't figure out how to use it with categories. Should I ignore that part, since the keywords have been added successfully to XMP using your approach?
Since V0.98, these two windows (edit iptc or edit xmp) allow you to manage metadata other than keywords, in either the IPTC or XMP standard.
It's also possible to manage keywords in these windows but it is much less convenient than using categories (and perhaps not possible for xmp hierarchical keywords)
The "other metadata" (titles, captions, copyrights ...) are not stored in the database, but only embedded in photos (or added in sidecar files for those that enabled this method)

You can paste the url below (catalogage avec xnviewmp) in Google translate, and read lines having a blue circle , even if translation is often funny.
BogongBreeze

Post by BogongBreeze »

What a brilliant resource, @michel038. What an effort you've put in.

I will be spending a lot of time exploring your pages learning how to get the best from XnView and about photo asset management generally.

Merci mille fois - thank you a zillion times over :D.