Categories not appearing after moving photos

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

aarthurc

Categories not appearing after moving photos

Post by aarthurc »

Hi! I spent some time categorizing photos yesterday. I created quite a few categories and subcategories as I'm managing my family's photo collection. Photos are stored on a OneDrive account owned by me. Nobody else has access to them.

I categorized around 300 photos. Then, I moved them into different folders using the XnView MP folder tree interface.

Now, when I view the folders in the Folder Tree or the Favorites Tab, several things are different. Some of the thumbnails are gone. Some of the thumbnails are rotated 90 degrees. When I click on the photos, my categories do not show up as "checked." nor do the ratings, etc. HOWEVER, if I use the Categories Filter, it will pull up the photos based on my category selection and show ratings as well. See screenshots below. What am I doing wrong here?
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-03-28 081850.png
Screenshot 2021-03-28 081714.png
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Categories not appearing after moving photos

Post by xnview »

you have moved the files from folder tree into folder tree or from thumbnail view into folder tree?
What's your settings>Metadata?
Pierre.
aarthurc

Post by aarthurc »

Hi there,

I have moved them from folder tree into folder tree. I wish to know the best practices for organizing photos. Is there a reference on this topic? E.g. metadata, categories, tags, ratings, etc. Thank you in advance for your help! Here's a screenshot of my Metadata:
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-03-29 182513.png
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

So you use catalog only to store categories. I've tried but can not reproduce.
Could you try to categorize a folder, and move it?
Pierre.