simple usage of categories

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

jhxnview

simple usage of categories

Post by jhxnview »

Hi,

After some research on organizing images through tags, I decided to give XnView Mp a try. As far as my understanding, I should use the categories in XnView MP. I googled around and read discussions but still confused by the UI/options and couldn't figure out a simple way to achieve what I want.

My questions are:
1) In a default XnView MP layout of Browser, how can I, after selecting one or multiple images in a folder, create one or multiple categories or apply existing categories for them, ideally in the sample place/menu/window? I found that via right-click, I can apply a single existing category to images but that's it. I am hoping there is a window/place to let me type in category names to either create new ones or return existing category names as I type to apply the category to images.

2) Assume I have categorized images, where can I search images based on category name as I type? I noticed there is a CategoriesFilter tab, but it's more like using a tree-type folder structure instead of searching images via typing in category name to have XnView MP return the results of the search based on inquiries.

Thanks,
JH
michel038
XnThusiast

Re: simple usage of categories

Post by michel038 »

Hi,
In a default XnView MP layout of Browser, how can I, after selecting one or multiple images in a folder, create one or multiple categories or apply existing categories
As I have heavily modified the appearance of my user interface, I cannot remember the default layout.
- I think you should enable Categories and Categories filter in "View, Data pane" menu.

Now, select a photo, and right click in "Categories" pane to be able to create new categories.

- To apply categories :
Select a photo, or a set of photos .
tick a category
release selected photos.
now these photos are linked to this category

If you have many categories, you can type the beginning of a category name in the field at the top of categories pane.
You can change options in the drop-down menu (top right of categories pane). See "Search mode" and "Action"
where can I search images based on category name as I type? I noticed there is a CategoriesFilter tab, but it's more like using a tree-type folder structure instead of searching images via typing in category name to have XnView MP return the results of the search based on inquiries.
The "Categories filter" is the best way to search images. Here you can select more than one category by using Ctrl click, or exclude a category with Alt Click. But here we can't type beginning of words ...
See also settings in the "Match" drop down menu at the top of categories filter pane.

For complex requests, you can also use "Tools, Search" menu.

Links between categories and photos are stored in a database (the catalog) . When XnViewMP is shut down, this database is stored in xnview.db file

To be sure of the durability of your work, and to have the best compatibility with other software in the future, you should validate the export of the categories into normalized keywords iptc or xmp. ( Settings, Metadata, Export ... ) before applying categories.
For example, this old good Picasa will easily read these keywords and it provides a user friendly search function ...

I hope I understood your questions, answers are translated from french :D
jhxnview

Post by jhxnview »

Thank you so much for the prompt reply and additional information. It's super helpful!

ps. the translator seems working pretty well.

I now know how to create/apply categories. :)

On the search side, I just tried the Tool > Search. It's very handy to search based on the filename. But I couldn't figure out how to search based on Category name. I tried to add Categories as a Condition but that actually further limits the range of search to be within ticked categories.

Is there a way to search based on input categories? For example, a search field to type in category name(s) to let XnView MP return the search results? At some point, users would have lots and lots of categories. Finding categories to tick would become inefficient at that point.

Thanks,
JH
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

For example, a search field to type in category name(s)
Other users are waiting for such a function ...

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=40901
Yes, it would be very interesting
jhxnview

Post by jhxnview »

Glad to know I am not alone. :D