Is there a date for full HEIC Meta Data support

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

OrangeEye

Is there a date for full HEIC Meta Data support

Post by OrangeEye »

Hi there,
great software and so many ways to customize it. Thanks for your effort. I like the way everything worked out, but I still miss one feature to finally get rid of other solutions:
Is already a time line or even a date for full HEIC Meta Data support?
(so that it keeps the information after saving a file as a new heic (with or without edit)).
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Is there a date for full HEIC Meta Data support

Post by xnview »

HEIC metadata are already supported on Windows
Pierre.
OrangeEye

Post by OrangeEye »

Thank you for your answer, but that’s not what I meant. I mean, when will it be possible to alter HEIF files (for example a simple rotation) without losing the meta data after saving as Heif again?
(If this is already implemented it’s not working on my windows 10 with all HEIF plugins installed)
blizeH

Post by blizeH »

I was wondering this too :) It seems like HEIC is supported by XnViewMP which is great, but there are some things you can't do yet like what the OP is saying. I was also unable to amend the GPS location for my HEIC files for example
OrangeEye

Post by OrangeEye »

Since XnView posted that heic meta data are already fully supported in windows 10, are we doing sth wrong?
BlizeH, me and surely others would enjoy your software even more if we find a way to do the things one can already do with jpeg (for example see my op or the one of blizeH)
OrangeEye

Post by OrangeEye »

Thanks for fixing the reported bug with the disappearing meta data without a waring promt.

You said in your reply that "HEIC metadata are already supported on Windows". I would say that currently they are just partly supported.

When can we expect meta data to be transfered to altered or saved image files? Meta Data are part of an image (at least in my case) and I think that not having that feature (that an important part of the image files will get lost) could be called a show stopper (no offense, I am just curious since your software is really great and I'd like to use it more (which currently I can't because of that).
kevnician

Post by kevnician »

The HEIF plugin does not seem to be included for the linux version. Is there any installation hint for this plugin?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

OrangeEye wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:50 pm When can we expect meta data to be transfered to altered or saved image files?
Soon, i'll update the HEIC plugin
Pierre.