XnViewMP Appears As Default App for CR2 Files

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

bibfeldt

XnViewMP Appears As Default App for CR2 Files

Post by bibfeldt »

Hi. Maybe I'm missing something. I recently installed XnViewMP on my MacBook Pro running the latest version of MacOS Mojave. I went into Finder and located a .CR2 file (Canon RAW file) that I wanted to edit in Photoshop. I right-clicked on the filename in order to use the "Open With..." choice on the popup menu. To my surprise, XnViewMP appeared at the top of the list with the word "default" in parentheses.

Photoshop should be the default app on my system to open CR2 files and when I did a Get Info on the image, it does show Photoshop as the default app for opening CR2 files. Also, when I double-clicked the filename in Finder, the CR2 file did, in fact, still open in Photoshop.

My question, therefore, is why is XnViewMP appearing as the default app for CR2 files in the Finder pop-up menu AND how did it get there, as I don't recalling ever giving that app permission to become the CR2 default app?

Thanks!
Attachments
XnViewMP showing as default app to open a Canon CR2 RAW file.
XnViewMP showing as default app to open a Canon CR2 RAW file.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: XnViewMP Appears As Default App for CR2 Files

Post by xnview »

bibfeldt wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:23 pm My question, therefore, is why is XnViewMP appearing as the default app for CR2 files in the Finder pop-up menu AND how did it get there, as I don't recalling ever giving that app permission to become the CR2 default app?
Sorry but i don't know how MacOS choose the default app
Pierre.