Putting captions on pictures

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

michaeldigney

Putting captions on pictures

Post by michaeldigney »

Hi,

I would like to add captions to pictures.

I would rather not put a caption on the original picture space (which I have done) but if possible I would like to add a blank area to the picture by extending it somehow and add the caption to the new area.

Hope that makes sense and you can help.

Thanks.
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Putting captions on pictures

Post by cday »

michaeldigney wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:07 pm I would like to add captions to pictures.

I would rather not put a caption on the original picture space (which I have done) but if possible I would like to add a blank area to the picture by extending it somehow and add the caption to the new area.

The way to do that is to first use Image > Canvas resize... to add new canvas below the image, or wherever you wish to add it.

Then use Image > Draw... (or the recently added Edit > Text... with a different interface) to place the desired text on the extended canvas.

It is actually possible to place the caption on a transparent area below the image, but that is a little more complex and would mean saving the image as a PNG rather than, for example, a JPEG.
michaeldigney

Post by michaeldigney »

Thank you for that. I can use the Edit/Text to get a caption on the actual photo but cannot seem to get the Canvas/Resize to work to give me an extended area at the bottom (or elsewhere) of the photo.

Sorry but I am very new to all this.................is there a video that can lead me through the process ?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Canvas resize... is different from Resize... and to add canvas below the image you set the Position (or 'anchor') to Top, uncheck Keep ratio and then increase the Height value in pixels or percent (for example to 110%)...

michaeldigney wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:14 pm Sorry but I am very new to all this.................is there a video that can lead me through the process?
I'm not aware of one, videos are very much the fashion currently so maybe someone might make some, personally I much prefer written instructions!
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

In Tools > Batch convert... the Canvas resize action displays a preview of the result of the settings currently selected, which may assist in finding the optimum settings quickly...