Flaw in GPS Editor

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

BuckSkin

Flaw in GPS Editor

Post by BuckSkin »

I don't know how many hundreds, if not thousands, of my image files that this has affected = it is frustrating, to say the least.

64-bit Windows 7
XnViewMP v0.96.5

I have used the XnViewMP GPS Editor extensively.

If I manually type in the decimal coordinates and enter the Altitude at the same time = it works with pinpoint accuracy.

If I type in the decimal coordinates and Altitude manually and "Copy" BEFORE I write the coordinates to the file(s), it will copy the coordinates correctly and paste them into other files correctly.

HOWEVER, and this is wherein the fatal flaw lies, in the GPS Editor, there are two columns of coordinates, Decimal and Sexagesimal; when I open the GPS Editor to edit/correct a file that already has coordinates, the Sexagesimal coordinates will have the minutes rounded to all zeros and the Decimal coordinates will reflect this rounded off position, even though the pinpoint accurate coordinates are showing accurately in EXIF data.

1. If I copy the coordinates of a file that already has the coordinates written, it will copy the rounded off coordinates instead of the accurate coordinates, and then paste the Decimal coordinates adjusted to the rounded off Sexagesimal coordinates, instead of pasting the correct accurate Decimal coordinates.

2. If I edit the Altitude of a file that already has accurate GPS coordinates, either by adding a missing Altitude or correcting a wrong Altitude, when I "Write", it will acknowledge the corrected Altitude, BUT replace the accurate Decimal coordinates with coordinates to match the rounded off Sexagesimal coordinates.

This behavior throws off my pinpoint accurate GPS coordinates by miles.

I have investigated this behavior thoroughly and can find no means of correcting it in "settings".

Am I the only one having this problem ?

Has anyone else noticed this behavior ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.
Last edited by BuckSkin on Thu May 13, 2021 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuckSkin

Re: Flaw in GPS Editor

Post by BuckSkin »

MORE INFO:
I have found that, if I wish to preserve the accurate coordinates when editing in the GPS editor, or wishing to copy the accurate coordinates, I must refer to the EXIF data and replace the rounded off coordinates with the accurate coordinates manually; otherwise, instead of the accurate coordinates, it will copy the rounded off coordinates.

This behavior really slows things down.
Last edited by BuckSkin on Thu May 13, 2021 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuckSkin

Post by BuckSkin »

XnView_GPS Editor_01.png

I said "Minutes" when I should have said "Seconds"
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

please update to lastest version
Pierre.
BuckSkin

Post by BuckSkin »

xnview wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:40 pm please update to lastest version
Thanks !
I updated to version 0.98.3 and that seems to have the problem cured.

As an added benefit, always before, when copying coordinates, it did not copy Altitude; now, all coordinates Copy, including Altitude.

Thanks.