Where does XnView store metadata information?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

zoltankr

Where does XnView store metadata information?

Post by zoltankr »

Hello,
Where does XnView MP store the metadata information? Are metadata embedded in the JPG files themselves? or, is there a catalog file/database (as in Lightrooom) that holds all the information and that can be exported and re-imported if needed after a fresh Linux or XnView install?

Thank you,
Zoltan
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Where does XnView store metadata information?

Post by cday »

zoltankr wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:02 am Where does XnView MP store the metadata information? Are metadata embedded in the JPG files themselves? or, is there a catalog file/database (as in Lightrooom) that holds all the information and that can be exported and re-imported if needed after a fresh Linux or XnView install?
Metadata that can be stored in a file can be viewed and edited in the browser Tools > Metadata.

The location of other metadata (if that is the correct term, I'm not a metadata user myself... :wink:) can be viewed and if desired changed in Tools > Settings... > Integration in the browser or viewer.
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

XnViewMP can write embedded Iptc and xmp metadata in files that support these features. For raw files, one must use sidecar xmp companion files.

When using "Categories" tool to enter keywords, see export options in Settings, Metadata screen. If no options are enabled, keywords (and ratings) will be stored only in the databaae ( the catalog =xnview.db file) .

For other metadata (captions, places, rights...), the catalog is not used, (so we must use embedded or sidecar metadata)
Settings are in another place (except for sidecar).
Open "Edit iptc" or "Edit xmp" window, and choose "Mode" in the last tab.
zoltankr

Post by zoltankr »

Thank you for your support. Does the quality of a JPEG file deteriorate if I embeed metadata in it with XnView?
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

Does the quality of a JPEG file deteriorate if I embeed metadata in it with XnView?
I'm almost sure that no, when photos are selected in the browser.

(But not sure when a photo is opened in a tab, and when saving it by switching to the next one.)
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Thank you michel038 for the extra information. :D

When a JPEG image is open in a tab, switching to an image open in another tab shouldn't result in the first image being resaved.

If the JPEG has been edited since opening it, the changes will be lost unless the file is resaved, but with the default program settings there will be a suitable warning displayed.