How can I open multiple browser windows in XnView?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

seabirdr

How can I open multiple browser windows in XnView?

Post by seabirdr »

Sometimes I want to browse multiple folders at the same time and move files directly between them. It would be very convenient if I could open multiple browsers at the same time in the same window or in different windows.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: How can I open multiple browser windows in XnView?

Post by xnview »

sorry but currently no way
Pierre.
Rick

Post by Rick »

If you go to Settings / General you can UNtick "Only allow one instance of XnView"
Then you can open a second instance, tile them then do your bulk moving etc.

This may introduce problems with any categories or other information in the file. I don't KNOW that but you should watch for it as you have two programss writing to the same database

The preferred method is to use tagging. Tag files all over your hard drives then pick a folder and move them all at once. It is not exactly intuitive. I build a tagging tool bar to have it all handy when I need it
--
Rick
seabirdr

Post by seabirdr »

Rick wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:34 pm If you go to Settings / General you can UNtick "Only allow one instance of XnView"
Then you can open a second instance, tile them then do your bulk moving etc.

This may introduce problems with any categories or other information in the file. I don't KNOW that but you should watch for it as you have two programss writing to the same database

The preferred method is to use tagging. Tag files all over your hard drives then pick a folder and move them all at once. It is not exactly intuitive. I build a tagging tool bar to have it all handy when I need it
The method you provided enables to open two XnView windows so that I can drag and drop files. So far everything works fine.

I actually don't like using the tag system because it's not cross-device and cross-platform. What I do is to write the key attributes of the photo in the file name. I use folders for rough and simple sorting and use the search function to find them precisely.

Thank you very much for sharing your tips and photo management experience, it's great, thanks!
joao

Post by joao »

Hello,

Is it still the case that we cannot open multiple browser windows in XnView?
At the moment my solution for this is to open one instance of XnView normally, and another instance through the command line in MacOS. Would be great if there was a simpler way.

Joao
gnumaru

Post by gnumaru »

There is a workaround described here for opening multiple browser tabs:

viewtopic.php?t=40257
natsu

Post by natsu »

Hi
hmm...
I remember that I could open multiple browser windows when I was opening different images on Mac months ago.
(I'm working on Windows 10 most of the time, It's definitely that we can open multiple browser windows on Win 10)
But I'm not sure if I changed any settings or anything, I can only open one XnviewMP instance now.
Does anyone has any idea?