Import & sort - how to import html reference files

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

smithcferg

Import & sort - how to import html reference files

Post by smithcferg »

This is a case of forgetfulness. I used to have XNVIEWMP Import & Sort set up to allow any helper .html file be imported and renamed using the same file rename template as was used by the program to rename the .jpgs. (This .html file is generated by DJI drones as reference file that records a complete list of all jpg files taken in the process of a panorama set of pics, and so gives starting point and set info for each panorama taken). At one point, this functionality stopped, and I am guessing it might have stopped if I did an update that reset the settings to remove this functionality (or worse, the functionality was dropped :( ) Hoping it was not the later, I changed the settings->file list->custom filter-> Exclude (removed html and htm), and Include (added html, htm). Doing this did not bring the functionality back.

Does anyone know how I can set up xnviewmp to import .html files and also allow them to be renamed using the image file renaming template, as used to happen in the past? I am currently running .98.2 64bit on win10, and plan to upgrade to .98.3 64bit. Also, will each upgrade remove these settings?

thanks,
Craig
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Import & sort - how to import html reference files

Post by xnview »

no multimedia files are only imported if 'transfer files with no exif...' is checked, it was always like that
Pierre.
smithcferg

Post by smithcferg »

I have 177 html files that I imported along with jpgs/mp4s using the Xnviewmp 'Import and Sort' function from 03-11-2020 to 10-01-2020. This functionality stopped after an upgrade. I don't know if that is because a special setting I made was reset or if the functionality was removed. I do know that I had to set a special setting to get this functionality. When I first started importing, I hadn't changed the setting and these html files were not getting imported.

I definitely was not using the "Transfer files with no exif to 'Other Files' folder". That functionality doesn't rename the files. It only transfers the html files as they are named on the memory card to the "other files" folder. These 177 html files were imported as though they were .jpgs and were renamed using the .jpg file renaming convention. They were deposited into dated subfolders along with the jpgs of the same date.

An example: the html file (my first) was H:\DCIM\100MEDIA\DJI_0001.html, which is the subfolder where other pictures/media are stored on the memory card. "Import and Sort" transferred/renamed it to E:\Media\2020\[2020-03-11] MPDrone Dog Park North\2020-03-11_16-50-13__DJI_0001.html
This is the renaming file convention I set up for jpg files.

I do need these html files in the same subfolder as the panorama jpgs they contain info for. Each html file contains reference information for a set of 37 or individual jpgs that when stitched together form 360 degree spherical panoramas. If the html file is located in a different folder than its sister jpgs, all relationship context is lost and the the information it contains becomes useless.
smithcferg

Post by smithcferg »

Okay, so I was able to remember how to set "import and sort" so that non-media files can be imported. This can work. It is possible to import html files (and so probably other files?) using this method. I have only used this with html files.

With XNVIEWMP open:
1) Goto "Tools"->"Settings"->"Browser"/"File list"
The "Settings" dialog will open.
2) Click on "Custom filter" tab.
3) Find the "Video/Other" field. Add the desired file extension for the file that needs to be imported, making sure the extension is separated from the other entries already there with a space.
This will tell the program to treat the file that needs to be imported as a video file.
4) Close out of "Settings" Dialog.
5) Go to "Tools"->"Import and sort ..."
The "Import and Sort" dialog will open
6) Set the Source/Destination/Photos/Videos and other settings as desired.
7) Optional: If you want the html or other file to be renamed using the jpg renaming convention, make sure the "Videos"/"Rename like photos" box is checked.
8) Optional: If you also want the file in the "Other FIles" folder, make sure the "Destination"/"Transfer files with no exif to 'Other Files' folder" box is checked.
Using this setting, the file will be copied to "Other Files" and will also imported as if it were a video file.
9) Start the import.
10) Depending on the filetype you needed to import, and your other uses of XNVIEWMP, it might be necessary to reverse what you did in 3) - go back to "Settings" and take the ext out of the "Video/Other" field. Since I mainly use the program for importing, leaving the html ext in "Video/Other" works for me.

- If you find you do need to reset this often, an alternative is to create a special xnview.ini file (where all the settings are stored) with the "Video/Other" setting as you need it, and make a batch file which copies the special .ini file into xnview before every special import, starts the import and after the import copies a regular xnview.ini file back in place. I use several batch files for doing different file renames/different subfolder names depending on type of pics to be imported.

If anyone needs a sample batch file to look at which does this, I can share that.

Happy importing,
Craig
smithcferg

Post by smithcferg »

I forgot to mention:

There was one extra step I did that might/might not be necessary, I am not sure.
while doing step 3), doublecheck the "Exclude" field in the "Custom Filter" tab. the "html" extension was listed in there. I took it out just in case that would prevent the import of the "html" file.