Batch Rename not working?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

PrincessColumbia

Batch Rename not working?

Post by PrincessColumbia »

So I've been trying to get the Batch Rename tool to work. I have a bunch of photos that I want to rename based on the following template:

{XMP:Title} - {XMP:Creator} - {XMP:Source}

However, when I put that into the batch rename tool, at best it will do the following:

Code: Select all

" - - SourceOfPic.ext"
Looking into the XMP metadata editor, I don't see a generically named "Title" field (though I'm assuming the "Document Title" field is what this one actually is?) and there's no "Creator" field at all, just "Author."

Am I using the batch rename tool wrong? Am I looking in the wrong place for the metadata to edit?

I've been struggling with this for a week and would love some help, please.
michel038
XnThusiast

Re: Batch Rename not working?

Post by michel038 »

I suppose you are talking about jpg photos , and I suppose your XnViewMP is set to english langage.

Select a test picture, open "Tools, metadata, Edit xmp" window.

1) Title
In "Description" tab, you can edit "Document title" field, and read it in "Info" pane, "XMP" tab, DC section, name = "title"
It seems impossible to find this field in batch rename. [BUG or Feature request #1]

2) In "Description" tab, you can edit "Author" field, and read it in "Info" pane, "XMP" tab, DC section, name = "creator[1]"
- This field is also named "Creator" by exifTool (see info pane, exiftool tab) .
When using {xmp:creator} in batch rename, we get an empty string [BUG #2] perhaps because the type of this field is LIST
(same problem if we use "subject" field, which is also a list BUG #3 )

3) Source
in "Origin" tab, you can edit "Source" field, and then read it in "Info" pane, "XMP" tab, Photoshop section, name = "Source"
- You can use this field in batch rename with {xmp:source}

Most of the features of XnViewMP have been developed for IPTC, and these metadata works when using iptc in batch rename.

Support for xmp is still incomplete... There is still work to do for Pierre, to bring XMP up to the level of IPTC
PrincessColumbia

Post by PrincessColumbia »

Thank you! That answers, like, ALL my questions! I'll adjust my workflow until such time as XMP is fully supported. :)
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

I created a bug report there viewtopic.php?f=62&t=42023
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

V0.99.4
we can now use these Xmp fields
Bugs solved ! :D