Format of Name Template, and help...

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

jacayz

Format of Name Template, and help...

Post by jacayz »

Hi All,

I just introduced my wife to XNView MP, and she thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread....

She is managing 3 people taking photos for an auction house. At the end of the day, they airdrop all of their photos (iphones) to hers, and then she comes home, and we download all of the files to a directory. So, we have 3 different (but sometimes overlapping) sets of image names.

She does the "Minority Report" shuffling of photos to get all of the photos for a particular lot in a row. She then renames them one-at-a-time to
"lot"{number}"_"{1...}", like lot234_1, lot234_2, lot234_3....

Is there a way to have a template that will prompt her for the lot number, and then do the rest for the "selected" files? Or, perhaps, she types the lot number (once), and it does it?

I did look around but I didn't see the format of the name templates in either the XNView MP guide or XNview (classic) or Total Commander... If there is, can I get a pointer to it?

Thanks.

James
jacayz

Re: Format of Name Template, and help...

Post by jacayz »

I've found AN answer to my immediate problem.
Name Template of lot123, Start 1 Step 1, Duplicate... Suffix _##, Add Always, Replace # with a number.
It doesn't prompt, but it does the trick.

Still looking for a list of all the variables that apparently you can put in the template.
jacayz

Post by jacayz »

I'm an idiot. That silly little |> next to the field had all of the answers in it.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

jacayz wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:49 pm I'm an idiot. That silly little |> next to the field had all of the answers in it.
No, the significance of that small arrow for some reason is often missed!