Dark theme

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xnview
Author of XnView

Dark theme

Post by xnview »

Currently we have 'Fusion dark' as dark theme, what do you think that must be improved?

I think to have icons for dark theme like that
find.png
find.png (369 Bytes) Viewed 6546 times
openView.png
openView.png (435 Bytes) Viewed 6546 times
What do you think?
Pierre.
raha

Re: Dark theme

Post by raha »

1. I think there is no need to change any icon, except the "toggle slider function: thumbnail size" icon on the right corner.
just to need to change the color so in fusion dark it is more visible, light blue color like the slider color would be nice.

2. when I say dark theme improvement, it means that all of the app must turn dark. the default setting doesn't turn everything dark, I always change color from settings. I attach some screenshots to how I set the color.

EDIT:
3. dark title bar, would be nice too :)
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-06-16 164831.png
Screenshot 2021-06-16 164831.png (980 Bytes) Viewed 6534 times
Screenshot (9).png
Screenshot (8).png
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

MARK2580 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:32 amPlease make the scrollbar in the dark theme more "noticeable". You can, for example, make the background brighter or the slider itself. When there are many files in a folder, it is almost impossible to see it.

Xeddius

Post by Xeddius »

J'ai constaté que le thème sombre n'est pas assez sombre, qu'il y a trop de blanc dans la fenêtre et que lorsque des éléments sont sélectionnés ou mis en surbrillance, il est encore trop clair pour que je puisse l'utiliser confortablement la nuit. Voir ci-dessous.

I have found that the dark theme is not dark enough, there is too much white in the window, and when items are selected or highlighted it is still too light for me to use comfortably at night. See below.
Too Bright
Too Bright
Il serait idéal d'avoir un thème encore plus sombre, n'ayez pas peur d'utiliser du noir pur dans les éléments de l'UI, le contraste est important mais avoir un thème vraiment "sombre" est optimal pour certains. Le texte blanc sur fond noir est souvent plus facile à lire et à voir pour moi et moins de fatigue pour les yeux. J'ai modifié ma capture d'écran précédente comme un exemple rapide de ce à quoi je m'attendais à l'origine du thème sombre, ce n'est pas un exemple parfait mais devrait suffire comme guide rapide. Ce serait bien d'avoir un thème avec des variations de couleurs facultatives comme "Dark Standard" (comme dans l'exemple) puis Dark + violet (avec des couleurs d'accent violet), Dark + rouge, Dark + bleu, etc.

It would be ideal to have an even darker theme, don't be afraid to use pure black in the UI elements, the contrast is important but having a really "dark" theme is optimal for some. White text on a black background is often easier to read and see for me and less strain on the eyes. I edited my previous screenshot as a quick example of what I originally expected from the dark theme, it's not a perfect example but should suffice as a quick guide. It would be nice to have a theme with optional color variations like "Dark Standard" (as in the example) then Dark + purple (with purple accent colors), Dark + red, Dark + blue, etc.

Un meilleur contraste sur les barres de défilement serait excellent, et peut-être quelque chose qui pourrait également bénéficier des couleurs de surbrillance/accent.

Better contrast on the scroll bars would be great, and maybe something that could benefit from the highlight / accent colors as well.
Something Darker
Something Darker
De nombreux appareils disposent désormais d'écrans bénéficiant d'un noir pur comme les écrans OLED. Le "mode sombre" d'Android 11 est agréablement sombre.

Many devices now have screens that benefit from a pure black like OLED screens. Android 11's "dark mode" is pleasantly dark.
Android11
Android11
I have attempted to translate for better context, if anything doesn't make sense let me know and I will try to rephrase/improve it.
J'ai essayé de traduire pour un meilleur contexte, si quelque chose n'a pas de sens, faites-le moi savoir et j'essaierai de le reformuler/l'améliorer.
liam8lu

Post by liam8lu »

I totally agree to Xeddius. I also turned down some colors that didn't turn dark by default. Don't forget the background of the Preview Window. Also I think I changed the font color to a light grey for not so necessary items which is pretty easy on the eye.

The ICC symbol could be adjusted.

The clickable Tag Corner could be adjusted.

xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

i've changed default colors when changing theme, here is a screen
Clipboard-1.png
I've asked Qt Team for the contrast problem of scrollbar...
Pierre.
Xeddius

Post by Xeddius »

xnview wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:18 am i've changed default colors when changing theme, here is a screen...
That is much better on the eyes and is a big improvement! Thank you!
My final request is a second "dark" theme which is darker.

I have edited the previous screenshot quickly it is not perfect but shows an example of a very dark theme.
Very-Dark.png
Very-Dark.png (207.85 KiB) Viewed 6423 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ok, will be added....
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

I've changed the dark theme, what do you think?
(new is at left)
Clipboard-1.png
Pierre.
m-a-r-k

Post by m-a-r-k »

Better. Thank you.
MARK2580

Post by MARK2580 »

xnview wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:23 am I've changed the dark theme, what do you think?
(new is at left)Clipboard-1.png
Yes, this makes the scrollbar much more noticeable.
ruvlad

Post by ruvlad »

How can I activate the dark theme in Windows? There is no associated menu item inside the app.
Franky

Post by Franky »

In the menu, view/theme
Xeddius

Post by Xeddius »

Sorry for the late reply, life caught up with me and I've been caught up being a new dad. I love the new dark mode, it's absolutely fantastic. Thank you very much for the work you've put into this incredible software!
ruvlad

Post by ruvlad »

Franky wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:12 am In the menu, view/theme
I don't have this item either in the stable version (0.99.7) or in the unstable version (1.0 beta 2)