Toolbar Icons & Text

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

tonyt

Toolbar Icons & Text

Post by tonyt »

Can you have a text descriptor with each icon?
Thanks
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Toolbar Icons & Text

Post by xnview »

you have tooltips
Pierre.
tonyt

Post by tonyt »

I know, but it is far easier to go to the right one if you can identify it by name, rather than check each icon to see what it does before you find the right one. That is what, I think, icon and text is for, to make life easier.
Thanks...
pavelh20

Post by pavelh20 »

I second this. Tooltips are no replacement for toolbar button descriptor.
First of all there are different types of memory and individual brains lean towards them. For some users it is very easy to remember the visual icons and find the text descriptors very difficult and vice versa. Some brains need text more than the image. All brains use both identifiers faster though, although some users may lean towards one or the other.
Another approach to this, should it be considered seriously, is the fact that some buttons/functions are used often while others less so. Generally speaking having the text descriptors displayed with the icons helps to quickly find the function the user uses less. Same for the users who don't use the program very often.
In no way, with all due respect (and plenty of respect in fact), Pierre, can tooltips replace text descriptors. Just play in your mind the scenario of a user trying to find the right button and instead of going over the text descriptors, the user needs to place the cursor over each button and wait for the tooltip to appear. Now image doing that often... say, if the user is old or mentally handicapped.

Best :)
PH
pavelh20

Post by pavelh20 »

@tonyt

I am not moving to MP from Classic yet, but just tested this and it works very nicely... If there is no text on the buttons in MP, you can add it yourself. MP has all the button gfx in its install folder, so all you have to do is edit the images and add the text yourself. the easiest way for me was to use small icons from Classic, add them to large icons in MP so there is enough space to add button text underneath. Then I selected Large icons in MP. Works very nicely, though one needs to spend time editing the buttons images.

:)
PH