Tips for faster batch image processing

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Chuclkles

Tips for faster batch image processing

Post by Chuclkles »

Hello to all,

I run a business that sells photos of the participants at sport events. For example last we weekend we attended a MTB race and took 12,000 photos.

I am using XnViewMP to:
  • resize the image
  • add some contrast
  • add some saturation
  • enhance detail
I am trying to figure our the best settings to speed up this process while not losing too much quality.

I was also wondering if these are the best output settings:
Screenshot 2021-06-23 at 17.50.32.png
Furthermore it is my understanding that overwriting the original files is faster....

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Charlie
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Tips for faster batch image processing

Post by cday »

You are using XnView MP Batch Convert?

Only two immediate ideas:

Are you using the option on the Output tab to use multiple CPU cores, if available to you?

To enhance detail you might look at using one of the filter Action options: possibly Focus restoration, Enhance focus, Sharpen or Unsharp Mask. Adding a filter will of course slow processing slightly, so you may have a trade-off there.

You could probably more easily assess the effectiveness of particular filters in the editor rather than in the Batch convert, as the displayed images will be larger than the preview in Batch convert.

Maybe someone else can comment on your other points?
Chuclkles

Post by Chuclkles »

Ciao cday! Thanks for your feedback.

You are using XnView MP Batch Convert? - Yes

Are you using the option on the Output tab to use multiple CPU cores, if available to you? - NO...Thanks for the pointer. I have a Quad core iMac. Will this speed things up? Will it slow things down regarding other running software?

Thanks for the Filter advice

Thanks again.

Charlie
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Chuclkles wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:50 am Are you using the option on the Output tab to use multiple CPU cores, if available to you? - NO...Thanks for the pointer. I have a Quad core iMac. Will this speed things up? Will it slow things down regarding other running software?
I don't have the technical background to give a definitive answer, but I would assume that even with all cores selected the operating system would still allocate resources to other running programs. As many everyday applications such as web browsing and word processing normally only require limited processing on a modern computer, you might not notice a significance increase in processing time unless you wish to do video editing or complex spreadsheet calculations at the same time...
Chuclkles

Post by Chuclkles »

I have done a couple of tests and in fact it does not seem to slow down the rest of the computer.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Chuclkles wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:22 pm I have done a couple of tests and in fact it does not seem to slow down the rest of the computer.
With all four cores enabled to you see a useful increase in speed?
Chuclkles

Post by Chuclkles »

HUGE improvement!!