MP hangs on white screen when opening jpg with double click

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

ElQuia

MP hangs on white screen when opening jpg with double click

Post by ElQuia »

Hi, last version MP x64 on Win10 21H1, MP hangs on a white screen (with navigating arrows on lower edge) when opening with double clic a jpg file from windows explorer, not so from total commander x64. Some times it shows the jpg after 20 to 30 seconds. From Totalcommander it opens really fast. Ryzen 5 3400G w/32GB RAM and nvme ssd
Any ideas?
"Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back" - "No hay Camino hacia la libertad. La Libertad es el camino."
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: MP hangs on white screen when opening jpg with doble clic

Post by xnview »

do you have other files in this folder?
Pierre.
ElQuia

Re: MP hangs on white screen when opening jpg with double click

Post by ElQuia »

Pierre, thanks for your reply. It happens always in folders with 500 files or folders with only one file. On the desktop also.
"Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back" - "No hay Camino hacia la libertad. La Libertad es el camino."
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

what do you have in settings>General>Mode when...?
Pierre.
ElQuia

Post by ElQuia »

Well Pierre I was on 0.98.3, today, only difference the last windows update, it hangs on start. Tried 0.98.4 (clean install), the same. Tomorrow will try classic and rolling back a restore point to pre win update and I´ll be back
ElQuia

Post by ElQuia »

OK Pierre, here I am. Rolled back to last restore point. It was an Edge update. Also included Logitech software for MX Keys keyboard and some other tuning of MS Win. Installed 0.98.4. Opening Mp´s browser is working OK, if I open any jpg from any other folder but desktop, be that from explorer or total commander it opens fast and OK, if I open the same file from desktop directly (if the file is on desktop aka in desktop folder) by double clic, be that from explorer or total commander, it does not open, an xnview white window with the lower edge arrows opens full screen but stalls at that, on some cliking the "not responding" with option to wait or terminate apears. Waiting is useless. terminating goes well.
The same file on desktop opens OK with "Imagine" and MS Photos or Photoshop.

If you need some diagnostic data, please tell me how and where to find it and I will provide it.
I am a linux user also, thats why I´m trying out MP, this is a fresh win 10 instlall on a modern and new PC. I would love to be able to use XNView same version on all OSes.

BTW, nice work on the XNView familly!!!
ElQuia

Post by ElQuia »

xnview wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:07 am what do you have in settings>General>Mode when...?
Mode when starting with a file NORMAL