Stop Creation of .bak Files ???

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

BuckSkin

Stop Creation of .bak Files ???

Post by BuckSkin »

I asked this question quite some time ago; and now, several versions later, I still need a definite answer.

I only ever use XnViewMP to write Embedded Comments and IPTC into jpeg files.

I have tried my best to disable anything in Settings that would prompt the creation of these annoying .bak files.

Often, as soon as a jpeg is placed in a folder that is open in XnViewMP, before I perform any operation, XnViewMP will immediately create a .bak file and select it instead of my intended jpeg.

I cannot count the times I have thought I was editing data in a jpeg when instead I am editing a .bak file.

After an session, my Recycle Bin will have dozens of .bak files that I have had to delete.

I have researched this and looked in Settings until my eyes are sore and I cannot find any means to disable this behavior.

Has anyone found a definite means of preventing the creation of these .bak files ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Stop Creation of .bak Files ???

Post by xnview »

BuckSkin wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:20 pm Often, as soon as a jpeg is placed in a folder that is open in XnViewMP, before I perform any operation, XnViewMP will immediately create a .bak file and select it instead of my intended jpeg.
How do you place it? by copying it with XnView?
could you post a screenshot of 'settings>General>File operations'
Pierre.
BuckSkin

Post by BuckSkin »

xnview wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:25 am How do you place it? by copying it with XnView? By drag and drop from another folder
could you post a screenshot of 'settings>General>File operations'
.bak files are also randomly and frequently created when I add or edit Comment and when I add or edit IPTC.

Often, a .bak file will show up after the jpeg has been moved elsewhere and I am working on something else.

This is not a new problem; it has carried over from version to version.

Attachments
Settings_General_FileOperations_2021-09-23.png
Settings_General_FileOperations_2021-09-23.png (40.2 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

the settings are good, so if you edit IPTC on a file, you have a .bak? which format?
Pierre.
BuckSkin

Post by BuckSkin »

xnview wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:11 am the settings are good, so if you edit IPTC on a file, you have a .bak? which format?
Yes; it happens with edit IPTC, with edit Comment, and sometimes with edit GPS.

I only ever use jpegs for metadata editing; no other formats.
BuckSkin

Post by BuckSkin »

I did some more investigating; and, by looking at the folder in Explorer, I found a bunch of bak files that were not displaying in XnViewMP.

Try as I might, I could not make these .bak files display in XnViewMP; it is untelling how many of these I have lurking within my photo collection.

I did some more experimenting and found that I could remove the string of numbers and .bak and the file would become a normal jpeg with all attributes.
Attachments
bak file_2021-09-24_123733.png
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Really strange, for jpeg files, there is no .bak created. i've tried 'edit comment' or 'edit iptc' and no .bak.
Is it the 0.99.1?
Pierre.
BuckSkin

Post by BuckSkin »

I have had another .bak file experience.

I edited Comment of a jpeg and, instead of keeping the jpeg and also creating a .bak, it converted my jpeg into a .bak and then XnViewMP refuses to acknowledge and display the .bak file, as if it doesn't exist.

I had to use Explorer to change the .bak back to a jpeg.

When XnViewMP converted my jpeg into a .bak, the existence of the jpeg was completely eliminated, it was not in the Recycle Bin, and it was not visible to any other program.

These .bak file problems have followed me from my very first version of XnViewMP through every version I have used; I am currently on Version 0.98.3 (May 6 2021).
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

BuckSkin wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:51 pm When XnViewMP converted my jpeg into a .bak, the existence of the jpeg was completely eliminated, it was not in the Recycle Bin, and it was not visible to any other program.
This happens when the original file is write protected ...
Or if xnViewMp does not have write access rights for files in this folder ?

Perhaps you can fix it with Windows explorer, right click, properties, disable read only before editing the file with xnviewmp ?
Or start xnviewmp as admin ?
BuckSkin

Post by BuckSkin »

michel038 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:38 pm
BuckSkin wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:51 pm When XnViewMP converted my jpeg into a .bak, the existence of the jpeg was completely eliminated, it was not in the Recycle Bin, and it was not visible to any other program.
This happens when the original file is write protected ...
Or if xnViewMp does not have write access rights for files in this folder ?

Perhaps you can fix it with Windows explorer, right click, properties, disable read only before editing the file with xnviewmp ?
Or start xnviewmp as admin ?
Thanks for the idea.

None of my files/folders are write-protected.

I will check to make certain that nothing has been changed; if it has, I sure didn't change it and nobody else has access to the machine.
BuckSkin

Post by BuckSkin »

This .bak file business is getting ridiculous.

All permissions are in order; there is no logical reason for this behavior.

And, it is rapidly getting worse.

Now, it is changing jpeg files into .bak files WHILE the file in being edited in the IPTC Editor.

When I click Write to Files, some of the files will get written and the others will not; at that point, XnViewMP still shows them as being jpeg; however, when I re-open the IPTC Editor to add the info that didn't work the first time, when I click Write to Files, I get a warning that the files are Write-protected --- they are NOT --- actually, they have now became invisible to XnVewMP and have been converted to .bak

I have to then navigate to them in Explorer and change them back to jpegs and try again.

The only thing I can figure is that my installation of XnViewMP is corrupted and a complete and total removal and fresh clean install hopefully will fix the problem.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

BuckSkin wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:39 pm When I click Write to Files, some of the files will get written and the others will not; at that point, XnViewMP still shows them as being jpeg; however, when I re-open the IPTC Editor to add the info that didn't work the first time, when I click Write to Files, I get a warning that the files are Write-protected --- they are NOT --- actually, they have now became invisible to XnVewMP and have been converted to .bak
If you have a warning or have a .bak from a jpeg file, there is a problem not with XnView MP but with your file system. XnView MP can't replace the original one.
If you make a copy of this file, are you able to open it and re-save it? and edit IPTC?
Pierre.
BuckSkin

Post by BuckSkin »

xnview wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:49 am If you make a copy of this file, are you able to open it and re-save it? and edit IPTC?
Sometimes yes and other times it makes another .bak

I have checked and rechecked permissions; all permissions are in order; NOTHING is write-protected or read-only.

Files from the same folder, taken from the same camera on the same day, some of them will get turned into .bak and others will work fine.

No other program has any problems with these files, either before they get converted to .bak, or after XnViewMP has converted them to .bak and I have manually converted them back to jpeg.

I have carefully examined these files/folders and I can see no reason for this behavior.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Just a wild guess: There is (or used to be) a conflict with Photoshop.