How to copy metadata from one photo to a selection

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Trebly

How to copy metadata from one photo to a selection

Post by Trebly »

Hello,

I am a beginner, but a lot experienced in data management.

I would copy (duplicate) several metadata from one photo to a selection.

I have not found how to do this.
Practically, to prepare a full job, I have set using various features the metadata of one photo.
There are near 2,000 photo which need most of these data which are identical for the selection (data which characterize the selection - to use to get back the selection from a full library by the select feature).
I have defined a process to fill all needed metadata for something like 50,000 photos.

I have searched all docs without finding this process.

I have been successful only with GPS metadata :
  • I have set the values for one image and tested the display of the location with Google Earth
  • I have opened "edit GPS data"
  • Then I have selected the group of the targeted photos (shot in the same place) using the "select all images" (I think that I could do the same for any previously set up selection)
  • I have opened again the "edit GPS data" they are set to previous displayed value" and two buttons appear "write" "write all"
  • The function "write all" writes the GPS metadata for the selection, everything is ok
When I try the same with edit/xmp or edit/iptc the values can be set manually but the previous selected instance is forgotten. So, it seems, first approach, that I must copy manually (or select) all metadata that I want to copy on my whole selection.

What is the solution?

Best regards

Trebly
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: How to copy metadata from one photo to a selection

Post by xnview »

do you have tried Tools>Metadata>Transfert, or you want to transfert all metadatas?
Pierre.
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

I would copy (duplicate) several metadata from one photo to a selection.
1) If you don't want to delete existing metadata :
- select two photos - Edit Iptc - "Options" tab - Mark 2nd box (keep original value if the new value is empty) - OK

2) Let us name the photo that contains the metadata to be duplicated "photo01"

- Select a batch of photos to be tagged, and photo01.
- Edit iptc window ...
- On the right hand side, use the < and > arrows to select again photo01 : now, all metadata of this photo are displayed in tabs.
- Write to all files (Ecrire les fichiers)
- Unselect photos
- Select one of them to read and check new written metadata in Info pane (iptc or xmp or exiftool tabs)
Last edited by michel038 on Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trebly

Post by Trebly »

Hi Pierre,

Yes I have tried, but what is not clear is "from where (which instance) the value will be got", I have not checked, because I have gone on the "models" solution into the "edit (exif, iptc, xmp) which had functioned.
The problem which, versus, can be an advantage, is to let a trace of the opérations and the content can be verified by reading the xml script.

For the transfer solution I think that the transfer configuration form should give also the "instance" associated which the "item" (sample : I define to transfer "to the selection the EXIF "exif:artist" to "exif:artist" from where ?). Either
1- "transfer" is a transfer is an operation inside each instance (image, self) which allows to set, for example an xmp user fields with an md5 (proposal for coherency test which can detect "illicit" changes) build from the photo data or simply the original directory (this for each image), etc...

2- or from a particular instance (the last selected alone or double clicked etc.).

note;

A- with "edit" functions
1- you fill with values set manually
2- you fill from a saved set of values

B- with "transfer" we could transfer for selected fields:
1- self (move, concatenate, functions on, convert)
2- from one defined image instance

For now, there are no process without a solution.
So, I go on testing how xnviewMP is able to perform the images process that I have defined for my data.

Best regards,

Trebly
________________________________________________________________________________________
Remark about the directory's structures and inheritance of metadata:
I had defined before using and knowing the features of xnviewMP that the "changed-optimized" photo got from an original will be set into a subdirectory of the original images.
With this process feature, because xnviewMP can include the subdir into his current working selection, it is quite easy to set or modify the metadata of both the original and the children's images.
This allows also, to modify "mother kernel metadata" (kernel common with all the members of the family) and propagate into the family (all the members inherit the changes of the mother) without changing the properties which identify a child.
Note that to perform such changes (needed by the development of the classification during the whole life of our photo library) is much more difficult for the images that are duplicated out of the main directory tree (bases on chrono and sequences identification). In this last case you should (must) perform a photo selection often into an enormous amount of data, before performing a propagation of metadata or images changed.
Trebly

Post by Trebly »

Hi Michel038,

Our messages were crossed, I began to answer to Pierre before your message, but I have not ended it (I let it in edit mode quite two days, and you message appeared just now after sending my answer)

No time to check you recommandations just now, I will do it soon
Best regards.

Trebly