*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Trebly

Metadata exif "copyright" disappeared when iptc are saved

Post by Trebly »

Hello,

I begin in using NviewMP.
During my first test I have found this :

- operation: just create (fill) iptc items on CR2 and JPG files (from the card of a Canon EOS70D)
- observed after saving files :
  • file CR2_original created -> ok
  • the exif "Copyright" field is deleted from the main exif record during the generation of the new CR2 (which should not get any modification)
Because the data cannot be got back from EXIF to fill IPTC or XMP data (edit xmp or iptc) the Copyright information is anyway deleted and must be filled back manually...

Note that the Canon firmware is 1.1.1 do not set the Copyright Exif data ("Avis de droits d'auteur" in French) for the jpg linked file (I uses the option generate RAW - CR2 - and JPG at shot). So it is impossible to get the Copyright form the jpg file and I have to get the Copyright form the CR2 to copy to the jpg (using xmp companion...)

Note too that in French versions of software(s) :
Exif data "Artist" and "Copyright" are translated:
  • In Canon "Digital Photo Professionnal 4" "Artist"-> "Auteur" and "Copyright" -> "Avis de droits d'auteur"
  • In xnviewMP "Artist (as shown by Exiftools)" -> "Auteur" and "Copyright (cf. Exiftools)" -> "Droit de copie©"
Why to develop bad brainstorming to translate in French (bad French) words which exist in French with the same meaning that in English ("Pourquoi donc chercher des périphrases pour traduire en mauvais français des mots qui existent dans les deux langues avec le même sens !!!)

With Copyright there are other erratic translations in DPP4 and xnviewMP ("credits data").

Thanks to propose a solution to the main problem which is that "EXIF Copyright" cannot be brought to the photo files all over the process automatically.
Note that, may be, I have missed a parameter of xnviewMP ?

Best regard

Trebly
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Metadata exif "copyright" disappeared when iptc are saved

Post by xnview »

Trebly wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:03 pm [*]the exif "Copyright" field is deleted from the main exif record during the generation of the new CR2 (which should not get any modification)
[/list]
Could you send me a sample CR2 file?
Note too that in French versions of software(s) :
Exif data "Artist" and "Copyright" are translated:
  • In Canon "Digital Photo Professionnal 4" "Artist"-> "Auteur" and "Copyright" -> "Avis de droits d'auteur"
  • In xnviewMP "Artist (as shown by Exiftools)" -> "Auteur" and "Copyright (cf. Exiftools)" -> "Droit de copie©"
Sorry but i don't understand the problem?
Pierre.
Trebly

Post by Trebly »

Hi Pierre,

Maybe You are French or French speaking. If it is the case, I could write also the French text to a clearer understanding (I am French).
I don't know if this site is exclusively English speaking.

For the first problem I think that I have done a bad operation because I have repeated all, creating a new test directory from my reference, and everything is all right. I cannot reproduce.

About the second question for which you tell me "I don't understand", the problem is this of "concepts translations by various softwares.

I think that "Copyright (Copyright identifier text)" should be translated in French "Copyright".
I know well that there are differences of law between the "rights" of the creator (Author, Artist...) but the "Copyright" word exist in French and has the same meaning.

Nevertheless, it is translated in several curious expressions as :
- "Avis de droits de copie" in "Canon Photo Professional 4"
- "Droits de copie" in "xnviewMP-EXIF"
- others in other places in "xnviewMP" (not checked)

other fields which concern "rights" and many others (I should produce a list) are confusing.
I think that a dictionary is needed for all concepts:
"field_name (EXIF,IPTC,XMP)" ; "field meaning, rules" ; "displayed title of fields into forms in English" ; "displayed title of the field into forms in French" ; same for other languages.

I have found several years ago this dictionary from the site IPTC.org, but surely without the French translations into CPP4 and xnviewMP...

This was a proposal.

Best regards

Trebly
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Trebly wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:58 pm - "Droits de copie" in "xnviewMP-EXIF"
Oh right, i fix it
- others in other places in "xnviewMP" (not checked)
Copyright is used
Pierre.