Auto-save after Edit in View Mode

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Brother Gabriel-Marie

Auto-save after Edit in View Mode

Post by Brother Gabriel-Marie »

When you are in browser mode (thumbnails) and you click the rotate button, the image is rotated and saved automatically.

When you go into view mode and use the rotate button, and then advance to the next image, it does not auto-save. But I want it to auto-save and not ask me. Right now I have to remember to save it every time.

Am I missing a setting somewhere?
Here is a screenshot of my current settings (version 0.87)
screenshot_xnviewmp_033.png
screenshot_xnviewmp_033.png (28.08 KiB) Viewed 5008 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Auto-save after Edit in View Mode

Post by xnview »

This is needed like XnView Classic
Pierre.
Brother Gabriel-Marie

I think I've figured out what is happening.

When you change between browser and view mode and then rotate the picture, and then switch back to browser mode, it doesn't autosave. The tab stays open (in the background, if your tabs are hidden like mine) without doing anything. Then, when you advance to the next photo it discards your changes.

Here is how I think it should work:
If you DO use tabs, then you only need autosave for making edits in browser mode - OR when you close a tab that has been edited (THIS DOESN'T WORK RIGHT NOW, EITHER - if you close a tab without saving, it is not auto-saved and all changes are lost without warning).
If you DON'T use tabs, then autosave should happen when you switch between views (because obviously, when you switch, you are finished with the image).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

See issue for current status and some details. I'll post here once the problem has been fixed.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.90. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Hmmm.... installed version .90 beta 1.

Either I didn't explain so well or it didn't get fixed...

Here are the steps:
1. open browser mode to folder full of images (jpegs)
2. double-click on image to bring into view mode
3. rotate image
4. double-click on image to go back to browser
-HERE- the image is not rotated in the thumbnail.
However, if my tabs are showing, I notice the image is open in a tab with a * in the tab title indicating that it has not been saved.

Therefore, I conclude that switching from view mode to browser mode does not initiate autosave. But I think it should if you have the setting enabled.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Brother Gabriel-Marie wrote: 4. double-click on image to go back to browser
-HERE- the image is not rotated in the thumbnail.
However, if my tabs are showing, I notice the image is open in a tab with a * in the tab title indicating that it has not been saved.
double click on image doesn't close current view tab, so image will not be saved
Pierre.
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Pierre - yes - that seems to be what is happening.

However, double-click on the image to switch to viewer *should* save if autosave is enabled. With autosave, all changes should be automatically saved when you leave the current view. Right now you have to manually save every time - which sort of undermines the value of autosave. Plus, if you have tabs hidden, then you have no way to know you must manually save.

Okay, so if I don't understand this the same way you do, then I request the feature to autosave on switching views. That's what I expect to happen. Autosave works when you move from one image to the next - why wouldn't it work when you switch back into browser mode? It's sort of the same thing.

Also, I don't use tabs at all; I only have it showing at the moment so I can debug things. If I could forget about tabs completely, I would. (Actually, I wish tabs were for browser modes, not for view modes; but that's a different topic).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Brother Gabriel-Marie wrote:Pierre - yes - that seems to be what is happening.

However, double-click on the image to switch to viewer *should* save if autosave is enabled. With autosave, all changes should be automatically saved when you leave the current view. Right now you have to manually save every time - which sort of undermines the value of autosave. Plus, if you have tabs hidden, then you have no way to know you must manually save.
for me, it's not the same. it's a opened tab, and you can switch between tabs, like an editor
Pierre.
Brother Gabriel-Marie

So... uh... so how can I make it autosave when I switch from view mode to browser mode? It autosaves when I move to the next image, it autosaves if I close the tab. I want it to also autosave when I change views, especially if tabs are hidden. If tabs are hidden and it does not autosave, I have no way to know it and it seems like my edits were not made.

Can you see the discrepancy?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Brother Gabriel-Marie wrote:So... uh... so how can I make it autosave when I switch from view mode to browser mode? It autosaves when I move to the next image, it autosaves if I close the tab. I want it to also autosave when I change views, especially if tabs are hidden. If tabs are hidden and it does not autosave, I have no way to know it and it seems like my edits were not made.

Can you see the discrepancy?
yes i understand, could you create a new topic
Pierre.
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Pierre, I am the one who started this topic in the first place about this very thing. I've never strayed from my original topic nor point. I've been talking about the same thing from the start of this thread.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Brother Gabriel-Marie wrote:Pierre, I am the one who started this topic in the first place about this very thing. I've never strayed from my original topic nor point. I've been talking about the same thing from the start of this thread.
right, i've fixed a bug but not correct your issue
Pierre.
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Well, I'm sort of back to this again, and I'm re-using my own thread - since I think it probably has to do with the original problem of it not saving when I change view modes.

Here's my workflow.
(Tabs are showing)
I'm in Browser mode, and find an image I want to work with, so I double-click it (according to my settings) to open it in view mode.
Now I push the *Automatic Levels* button to adjust the colours.
Now I push the arrow button to go to the next image.
XMP asks me if I want to save.
However, this should be automatic. I don't want to always confirm the change because I *always* want it to save.

Maybe there should be a checkbox in Settings > General > File Operations that can go below "Confirm File delete" and could be "Confirm File Save".
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ok, i'll add a setting or pehaps a checkbox 'don't ask again' when saving a picture file
Pierre.