0.87: File modification date not set after edit

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

dietmar

0.87: File modification date not set after edit

Post by dietmar »

tested with 0.87 x64 (Ubuntu):

Open any image, use Image->Filter for any arbitrary change, go to next file.
The "Save changed file" dialog appears, click Save.
The "Do you want to overwrite" dialog appears, confirm with OK.
Modified image is saved as it should.

Now check the file dates:

- in XnView: Creation Date and Accessed Date as updated; Modified Date is not (Bug 1). Modified Date should be updated, creation date maybe?

- in Ubuntu File Properties: Image->Modified Date is updated; File->Changed Date is not (Bug 2). File has been changed definitely.

How comes?

Regards
Dietmar
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.87: File modification date not set after edit

Post by xnview »

what do you have in Settings>General>File operations - Keep original date/time?
Pierre.
dietmar

Post by dietmar »

xnview wrote:what do you have in Settings>General>File operations - Keep original date/time?
Hi Pierre,
sorry for the delay in responding, I was out of town.

All three options in "Keep original date/time" are set (which must be the default).

However, applying a filter is neither a metadata change, nor a lossless transformation or an (unmodified) file save.

I understand that there are operations such as setting the copyright which one might not want the EXIF file dates (image metadata) to change. (whereas I would prefer the default to be "do not keep original date/file")

Applying a filter, however, just like cropping or rotating is ALWAYS a change you want to see in both image and file system metadata. Keeping the date under these circumstances is a bug.

In addition, in my opinion ANY change (even those from Settings) should set the file system change date as many backup procedures rely on the file system date. There shouldn't be any option to keep a modified file from being backed up.

Regards
Dietmar
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

dietmar wrote: In addition, in my opinion ANY change (even those from Settings) should set the file system change date as many backup procedures rely on the file system date. There shouldn't be any option to keep a modified file from being backed up.
It was like that in XnView Classic, a default for many users
Pierre.
dietmar

Post by dietmar »

xnview wrote:It was like that in XnView Classic, a default for many users
Maybe. Doesn't look right to me.

Anyway, what about the other issue in my post:
dietmar wrote:Applying a filter, however, just like cropping or rotating is ALWAYS a change you want to see in both image and file system metadata. Keeping the date under these circumstances is a bug.
Regards
Dietmar
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

dietmar wrote: Anyway, what about the other issue in my post:
dietmar wrote:Applying a filter, however, just like cropping or rotating is ALWAYS a change you want to see in both image and file system metadata. Keeping the date under these circumstances is a bug.
Crop or Rotate with save?
Pierre.
dietmar

Re: 0.88: File modification date not set after edit

Post by dietmar »

xnview wrote:Crop or Rotate with save?
Pierre,

I updated to 0.88 and did some tests with an arbitrary JPG photo on Ubuntu 64bit:
from the browser tab:
  • change IPTC data,
  • lossless rotate
from an image tab:
  • rotate 90° and save,
  • rotate 45° and save,
  • crop and save,
  • filter emboss and save
These are my findings (three bugs ;-)):
  • When in options all three settings for "keep original date" are set, the file modification date (in Properties) is NEVER updated. When all three settings are off, the file modification date is ALWAYS updated.
    Expected behaviour (at least by me): at least filter, crop and rotate 45° should update the file modification date independently of the "keep original date" setting.
  • With both settings, the EXIF "Date modified" is NEVER updated.
    Expected behaviour: The EXIF modification date should change when an image is modified and saved. At least with filter, crop and non-orthogonal rotates, but in my opinion also with lossless rotates and IPTC changes.
  • With both settings, the file CREATION date (in Properties) ALWAYS updates to the current date and time.
    Expected behaviour: The file creation date should never update unless a NEW file is created. Any edit should be reflected in the file modification date, not the creation date.
Regards
Dietmar
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

dietmar wrote: [*]With both settings, the EXIF "Date modified" is NEVER updated.
Expected behaviour: The EXIF modification date should change when an image is modified and saved. At least with filter, crop and non-orthogonal rotates, but in my opinion also with lossless rotates and IPTC changes.
[*]With both settings, the file CREATION date (in Properties) ALWAYS updates to the current date and time.
Expected behaviour: The file creation date should never update unless a NEW file is created. Any edit should be reflected in the file modification date, not the creation date.[/list]
So i need to add 2 new settings:
- update EXIF modified date
- don't touch creation date
Pierre.
dietmar

Post by dietmar »

xnview wrote:So i need to add 2 new settings:
Pierre, I don't see any need for such a setting. You should NEVER touch the creation date unless you create a new file.
- update EXIF modified date
In my opinion the EXIF modification date should go along the file modification date:
  • setting for metadata change (use the one you have)
  • setting for lossless transformations (use the one you have)
  • setting for non-modifying file saves, i.e. format conversion (use the one you have)
  • new setting for modifying file saves, i.e. size change, crop, rotate, filter, paint (default must be 'change date' - and I see no reason to alter this)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

dietmar wrote:
Pierre, I don't see any need for such a setting. You should NEVER touch the creation date unless you create a new file.
It's not the case for all users....
Pierre.
dietmar

Post by dietmar »

xnview wrote:It's not the case for all users....
Maybe.
To me the file creation date is a fixed date which no-one (OS or application) should ever change.
If you offer a setting to change the file creation date, keep in mind that this might/should also affect the EXIF creation date.

Thanks for your excellent work!

Dietmar
GeorgD

Post by GeorgD »

Also IMO, the file creation date shall not be altered unless a new file is created (newly created and maybe also when newly copied to a drive), afterwards it shall never be changed - hence, no need for a setting to keep it.

In contrast, file modification date shall IMO change whenever the file has "relevant" modifications so it shall be backed up - here, a setting to keep it makes IMHO sense, as "relevant" may differ from viewpoint to viewpoint (e.g. lossles rotate can be undone without data loss, so it may be considered as "irrelevant", but correcting orientation of many images is tedious work so it may also be considered as "relevant"). I was also wondering several times why certain changes were not reflected by file date, i.e. I did not know which of 2 directories had the newer file version. Personally, I do not really care whether EXIF modified date is also changed, but it seems more consistent if all "date modified" timestamps are changed.
In the XnView Wiki, you can improve the user guide / documentation / F1-help for XnView (classic/Windows) and for XnViewMP
Bezier

Post by Bezier »

Hi,

I'm new to XnView and currently doing my first steps. I'm on Win10 1809.

My observation is:
- "Keep original date/time" checked for "Embedded Metadata change" => neither "Date created" nor "Date modified" are changed. That's what I'd expect.
- "Keep original date/time" unchecked for "Embedded Metadata change" => both "Date created" and "Date modified" are changed. That's *not* what I'd expect, since the file was not created, only modified.

Like GeorgeD, I'd like to have the option to keep the "Date created" but change the "Date modified" whenever, well, the file is not created but modified by XnView.

Is that possible?

Also, I noticed that even with "Keep original date/time" checked, Picasa sees a change to the file and updates its database. What is the mechanism behind this, i.e. what *is* changed?

This question is important for me because I must make sure that files modified by XnView will become part of the next incremental backup.

Best regards,
Bezier
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Bezier wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:29 am - "Keep original date/time" unchecked for "Embedded Metadata change" => both "Date created" and "Date modified" are changed. That's *not* what I'd expect, since the file was not created, only modified.
Ok, i'll add an option to change "Date created" or/and "Date modified"
Also, I noticed that even with "Keep original date/time" checked, Picasa sees a change to the file and updates its database. What is the mechanism behind this, i.e. what *is* changed?

This question is important for me because I must make sure that files modified by XnView will become part of the next incremental backup.
It detects perhaps the file size too
Pierre.