Update files from catalog - settings

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Evds

Update files from catalog - settings

Post by Evds »

How do I control what gets written to the file when I select "Update files from catalog" ?

I notice that "update files from catalog" makes a XMP sidecar for jpegs when the option "Export DB Category to XMP Subject and IPTC keyword" (in metadata/iptc & xmp) is not checked.

When the option "Export DB Category to XMP Subject and IPTC keyword" (+create XMP + create IPTC data) is checked and I select "Update files from catalog" the xmp is embedded for the selected files but the keywords are not written to IPTC.
Ratings are also exported to the xmp although I didn't check that option in the "iptc & xmp" settings panel.

Can we have some explanation concerning which functions get affected by the settings in the current "metadata/iptc & xmp" settings panel ?

Is it possible to have a separate settings panel for "Update files from catalog" ?
michel038
XnThusiast

Re: Update files from catalog - solved

Post by michel038 »

I notice that "update files from catalog" makes a XMP sidecar for jpegs when the option "Export DB Category to XMP Subject and IPTC keyword" (in metadata/iptc & xmp) is not checked.
Right,
I've already discovered this. Exif+xmp metadata are written in the sidecar, only if "create or update sidecar" is not checked. Why ? I don't know.
When the option "Export DB Category to XMP Subject and IPTC keyword" (+create XMP + create IPTC data) is checked and I select "Update files from catalog" the xmp is embedded for the selected files but the keywords are not written to IPTC.
I think it's a bug, same behaviour with V0.93, 0.94. I never noticed this bug ! :shock:
Even if only "create IPTC" is checked, IPTC won't be written, but XMP will be.
The bug was already present in V0.90, and previous versions had no ITPC option, only xmp were available.

I think that "Update files from catalog" copies the database content (keywords, hierarchical keywords, stars, colors) in "xmp style" without checking (verifying?) any option.
Last edited by michel038 on Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 8 times in total.
michel038
XnThusiast

Re: Update files from catalog - settings

Post by michel038 »

Edit :

An admin can move this post to "bug reports" ?
Last edited by michel038 on Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michel038
XnThusiast

Re: Update files from catalog Workaround

Post by michel038 »

Workarounds : (only for versions older than V0.96 For newer versions, see my last post below)

- "Edit iptc+xmp" window can create IPTC keywords (if xmp exists) but only hierarchical IPTC (that is what I do not want)
- Another way could have been to use "Tools, metadata, Transfer" but this new tool doesn't read XMP data ...
- Other solution is to unmark/mark categories, but it's not easy if you have hundreds (select photos first, and wait for a while between unmark/mark)

Another workaround to copy xmp-dc subject into iptc:keywords with ExifTool

- Tools, Open with, Configure programs, and click "Add"
- Select Exiftool in the "AddOn" folder of XnViewMP installation folder.
- Fill the empty field Name with something like "XmpToIptc kw"
- In Parameter field, add :

Code: Select all

-k "-iptc:keywords<xmp-dc:subject"
(this is for windows, with double quotes )

Then, select a photo, Open with, XmpToIptc kw ...
A _original file will remain , to avoid this, add -overwrite_original in the parameter above
To process subfolders, add also -r

Code: Select all

-k -r "-iptc:keywords<xmp-dc:subject" -overwrite_original
- Select a bunch of photos, right click, open with ... XmpToIptc kw
Last edited by michel038 on Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

yes if the setting is not checked, it's better to write embedded
Pierre.
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

The bug that was described first :
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

I did some tests again with this function "Update files with the catalog" :

It doesn't take into account the Options, Metadata settings:
-It systematically writes XMP keywords and hierarchicals (xmp-dc-subject and xmp-lr:hierarchicalsubject)
-it never writes the IPTC keywords
Info :
-It writes the XMP Sidecar if the export option is unchecked, it's paradoxical, one would expect to have to check Export AND Sidecar
For the writing of the sidecar we can think of an evolution, which would allow to include the xmp metadata that we added from the Edit window, I will make another post suggestion

auf Französisch :mrgreen:
J'ai refait quelques tests avec cette fonction "Mise à jour des fichiers avec le catalogue" :

Elle ne tient pas compte des réglages Options, Métadonnées :
-Elle écrit systématiquement les mots clés XMP et les Hiérarchiques (xmp-dc-subject et xmp-lr:hierarchicalsubject)
-Elle n'écrit jamais les mots clés IPTC
et pour info
-Elle écrit le Sidecar XMP quand l'option exporter est décochée, c'est paradoxal, on s'attendrait à devoir cocher Exporter ET Sidecar
Pour l'écriture du sidecar on peut penser une évolution, qui permettrait d'y inclure les métadonnées xmp qu'on a ajoutées depuis la fenêtre Editer, je ferai un autre post suggestion
djcubez

Post by djcubez »

I am also having an issue writing category data into IPTC data after the fact. The only method which works for me is to select the photos and then uncheck and recheck the categories. However, this method is extremely time consuming.
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

function "Update files with the catalog" did not write the IPTC keywords in previous versions ...
Now, with 0.96.4, IPTC keywords are written. Bug solved

En V096.4, les mots clés IPTC sont maintenant écrits avec "Mise à jour des fichiers avec le catalogue", le bug est résolu.
Je n'ai pas vu passer le "changelog" pour cette correction
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

En V0.98.1 ce bug (non écriture des mots clés IPTC ) parait bien résolu.

Par contre j'y ai été confronté un peu aléatoirement chez un ami avec la V0.98.2
Pour le moment je ne peux pas tester la 0.98.2 chez moi ...
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

michel038 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:14 pm En V0.98.1 ce bug (non écriture des mots clés IPTC ) parait bien résolu.

Par contre j'y ai été confronté un peu aléatoirement chez un ami avec la V0.98.2
Pour le moment je ne peux pas tester la 0.98.2 chez moi ...
Ce bug est résolu?
Pierre.
michel038
XnThusiast

Re: Update files from catalog - solved

Post by michel038 »

Solved since V0.96.4

Considérons que c'est résolu, je ne peux pas reproduire chez moi en V0.98.4
Si j'y suis à nouveau confronté , j'essaierai de le cerner et j'ouvrirai un nouveau topic.

Edit : 2022/06/15 Bug still present.
When photo does not contain any iptc data, "update files from catalog" is unable to add categories as iptc keywords.
See this new thread : viewtopic.php?f=82&t=43489

Bug toujours présent juin 2022.
Si la photo ne contient aucune donnée IPTC, la "mise à jour des fichiers à partir du catalogue" ne peut pas écrire les catégories sous forme de mots-clés IPTC.
(toutes mes photos contenaient déjà au moins un champ IPTC, je n'avais donc pas le bug )
Nouveau topic : viewtopic.php?f=82&t=43489
Gwenael Q.

Post by Gwenael Q. »

Hello,

I must be missing something obvious but tonight I wasn't able to find the "update files from catalog" option (XnViewmp 1.3).
Where I could find it ?

Thanks for listening
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Gwenael Q. wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:28 am Hello,

I must be missing something obvious but tonight I wasn't able to find the "update files from catalog" option (XnViewmp 1.3).
Where I could find it ?
In View menu
Pierre.