companion files

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

mjibu

companion files

Post by mjibu »

Hello all ,
I hope one of you knowledgeable gurus can help me .

I am a new user, and have been looking at this marvellous little tool, which looks like it will do the job.
One little niggle I have is the way that the companion file configuration seems to work ( or not) .
I have a raw file (sony .arw) and a companion jpg ( both from my camera) . I also have an xmp sidecar file associated with the arw file ( created by my raw editor) .
If I add jpg to the end of the {raw} entry in the companion list in preferences , and I switch off show companion files , the xmp file disappears as expected, but the jpg remains with its parent arw. Not what I expect, I expected the jpg to disappear with the xmp.
If I add arw to the end of the jpg companion list, the arw disappears, as expected .

The copy/delete processing seems to work as expected.

I tried editing the ini file [companion]/list entry manually to change the order of the entries after adding my own arw extension into the list, but that didnt work .

Can anybody offer an explanation ?
This is on the windows version .

Many thanks

John
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: companion files

Post by xnview »

yes it's known issue, jpg are always shown
Pierre.
mjibu

Post by mjibu »

Thanks Pierre.
Any plans to make it collapse according to the rule ?

John
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

:bugconfirmed: Thanks to your detailed description I can reproduce the problem.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 1.00 beta. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
newuser

Post by newuser »

Tested in both beta 1 and 2

The problem still exist: JPG and (or) MOV as companion file(s) to HEIC, both JPG and (or) MOV are shown.
Problem arose in beta 1 and 2 but not existed in 0.99.7: HEIC and (or) MOV as companion files(s) to JPG, both HEIC and (or) MOV are shown.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

newuser wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:38 am Tested in both beta 1 and 2

The problem still exist: JPG and (or) MOV as companion file(s) to HEIC, both JPG and (or) MOV are shown.
Problem arose in beta 1 and 2 but not existed in 0.99.7: HEIC and (or) MOV as companion files(s) to JPG, both HEIC and (or) MOV are shown.
what do you have in settings>File list - companion files?
Pierre.
newuser

Post by newuser »

xnview wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:53 am
newuser wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:38 am Tested in both beta 1 and 2

what do you have in settings>File list - companion files?
Settings as per the Fig 1: JPG and (or) MOV as companion file(s) to HEIC, both JPG and (or) MOV are shown.
2022-04-11_164052.png
2022-04-11_164052.png (11.17 KiB) Viewed 12188 times
Settings as per the Fig 2: Problem arose in beta 1 and 2 but not existed in 0.99.7: HEIC and (or) MOV as companion files(s) to JPG, both HEIC and (or) MOV are shown.
2022-04-11_163953.png
2022-04-11_163953.png (11.15 KiB) Viewed 12188 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

newuser wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:46 am Settings as per the Fig 2: Problem arose in beta 1 and 2 but not existed in 0.99.7: HEIC and (or) MOV as companion files(s) to JPG, both HEIC and (or) MOV are shown.
I can't reproduce, i've put file.jpg, file.heic, file.mov in a folder, and only file.jpg is shown
Pierre.