Sharper view in viewer (HQ view) -- Big request!

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

eye2eye

Sharper view in viewer (HQ view) -- Big request!

Post by eye2eye »

Hi :)

I'm testing XnViewMP... this is a great picture (and RAW) viewer, but with one big issue - lack of sharpening viewed pictures (HQ view). So so so missing it!
That is a fundamental feature... there is some highly known and recommended applications that are famous to photographers, effective and highly liked by users because they have High Quality sharp view of pics.. but XnViewMP is better viewer in many ways.. sorry, could be better, maybe the best, but it lacks of effective sharpening (simply chosed in settings and permanently active if needed). This one thing is so needed.

Why do I (We) need this feature? - to speed-up selecting photos. This is huge difference when You don't have to zoom-in pictures to see if (and where) they are sharp. Currenty MP version (with or without "High Quality zoom") doesn't show sharp images (especially when ISO speed is higher and RAW's are grainy).

But wooow.. XnView Classic can!! (Settings > View > Use sharpen 0-80) Classic can do it and it works great!! :twisted: Pin sharped view, perfect recognizing sharp areas, focus point, depth of field - without zooming in! Doesn't matter if high ISO makes pics grainier.. in Classic everything is smooth and sharp. Selecting photos could be done much faster (saddly Classic is slower and not so configurable).

Please... I'm begging You to implement this function in MP version (MP is much faster). :idea: In "Classic" works so perfect.. please do the same one in "MP" too.

I read here in forum and tried to use "Filters" and "filtering" in View mode, but this is something not useful, different method, looks like working only temporarily or in one picture, and no to so easy to use.

Thank you in advance :D
Marius
eye2eye

Re: Sharper view in viewer (HQ view) -- Big request!

Post by eye2eye »

Did not implemented in 0.99.0 ..so much please .. begging again :)
Can be the same like in Classic version (Settings > View > Use sharpen 0-80) - works perfect there! :)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

See issue for current status and some details.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 1.00 beta. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
chrisncy

Post by chrisncy »

Bonjour
Y a t'il un paramètre à cocher quelque part ? je ne trouve pas :-(
Cordialement
Gwenael Q.

Post by Gwenael Q. »

Hello,

Request fixed in v1.0

Settings > View > View > Use sharpen

Thanks for the good work

@chrisncy : "Paramètres > Vue > Affichage > Use sharpen" en version française (la commande est en attente de traduction)
chrisncy

Post by chrisncy »

Ah merci ! je vais tester cette fonctionnalité.
Phred

Post by Phred »

How is 'Sharpen' intended to work?
I can see it in the View View settings, but what happens? Is an image just sharpened in the current on-screen impression, or does 'Sharpen' correct the current file and save it that way when written to disk?
Sharpen to save, or sharpen to view? Both?

Is it adjustable in the current session or is it back to the settings and expect a change to have been made after 'Ok'?

This isn't XnVMP's greatest feature, is it..? :?

Is there a Help file?

[UPDATE] I see that there's a tick-box in the Resize dialogue box.
Regards, PhredE
Willing donor, if only a 'donor token' were supplied in return, putting 'Phred's XnView' or '$D', '$Dd', '$dd' (depending on size) or 'Donor Version' in the title bar. (See Wiztree for partial solution.)
And a local Help file :(