Display JPEG quality / compression level in info box

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Display JPEG quality / compression level in info box

Post by xnview »

cday wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:44 pm That is the result of using Edit > Properties... :wink:
No :) i use 'i' icon toolbar
Pierre.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

xnview wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:04 pm
cday wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:44 pm That is the result of using Edit > Properties... :wink:
No :) i use 'i' icon toolbar
Well, why do I consistently get a different result without 'estimated quality':

Screenshot from 2021-02-03 16-06-26.png

Could I have a copy of your version of XnView MP 0.98.1 please?

Seriously, there must be an explanation...
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

cday wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:12 pm Could I have a copy of your version of XnView MP 0.98.1 please?
I use the current package. in settings>Format>Write>JPEG - estimated is checked?
Pierre.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

xnview wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:23 pm I use the current package. in settings>Format>Write>JPEG - estimated is checked?
In the editor File > Format settings... > Write tab -- JPEG -- Use estimated quality... wasn't checked, but checking it hasn't changed the information displayed... :(

But that is a write setting and shouldn't be relevant to reading the parameters of an opened image...

And there surely shouldn't be a difference between one of the displays of image information, and the other two displays...

And not due to Brexit, it was the same before! :wink:
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

It's crazy because the toolbar icon calls Edit>Properties
Pierre.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

xnview wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:53 pm It's crazy because the toolbar icon calls Edit>Properties
Well yes, that's logical, but could there actually somehow be two Edit>Properties files??

But even so, clicking on the toolbar icon should give us both the same result...
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

cday wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:42 pmAnd not due to Brexit, it was the same before! :wink:
L :mrgreen: L

cday wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:58 pm
xnview wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:53 pmIt's crazy because the toolbar icon calls Edit>Properties
Well yes, that's logical, but could there actually somehow be two Edit>Properties files??

But even so, clicking on the toolbar icon should give us both the same result...
Estimated quality is missing in the properties pane of fullscreen mode (F11) :bugconfirmed:
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

@XnTriq:

Can you reproduce from the viewer toolbar 'I' information button?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

cday wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:06 pm@XnTriq:

This one?
cmd_openProperties.png
cmd_openProperties.png (2.14 KiB) Viewed 1468 times

In fullscreen mode, there's no toolbar. But if you move the mouse cursor to the right edge of the screen, the properties pane should appear.

What's your configuration for Mode when starting with a file in ToolsSettings…GeneralGeneralStartup?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

XnTriq wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:15 pm
cday wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:06 pm@XnTriq:

This one?
Yes...
What's your configuration for Mode when starting with a file in ToolsSettings…GeneralGeneralStartup ?
'Normal' and I have had this issue in multiple versions in Linux and Windows using the default installation settings...
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

cday wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:22 pm'Normal' and I have had this issue in multiple versions in Linux and Windows using the default installation settings...
Does it make a difference if you change the configuration for Use double click to switch between in ToolsSettings…InterfaceSwitching mode?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

XnTriq wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:25 pm
cday wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:22 pm'Normal' and I have had this issue in multiple versions in Linux and Windows using the default installation settings...
Does it make a difference if you change the configuration for Use double click to switch between in ToolsSettings…InterfaceSwitching mode?
Changing from the default Browser <> Viewer to Browser > Fullscreen > Viewer did add the missing 'estimated quality' item, and after reverting to the previous Browser <> Viewer setting it seems to have remained enabled... :idea:

That is not a setting I have ever used or had a reason to change, so I have almost certainly always been using the default value.

But that setting shouldn't affect the display of image information??
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

cday wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:39 pmChanging from the default Browser <> Viewer to Browser > Fullscreen > Viewer did add the missing 'estimated quality' item, and after reverting to the previous Browser <> Viewer setting it seems to have remained enabled... :idea:

That is not a setting I have ever used or had a reason to change, so I have almost certainly always been using the default value.
Same here. I can only reproduce the bug with a fresh install. Once I change the setting for Switching mode, it's “fixed”.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

XnTriq wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:55 pm
cday wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:39 pmChanging from the default Browser <> Viewer to Browser > Fullscreen > Viewer did add the missing 'estimated quality' item, and after reverting to the previous Browser <> Viewer setting it seems to have remained enabled... :idea:

Same here. I can only reproduce the bug with a fresh install. Once I change the setting for Switching mode, it's “fixed”.
With defaults settings, you start XnView, select a file and open it?
Pierre.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

xnview wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:11 am With defaults settings, you start XnView, select a file and open it?
Yes...

Steps to reproduce would be to start with a new ZIP version, make no changes, then open a JPEG by (any means, I think), then view the image Properties in the viewer using the toolbar icon...

Then in Settings > Interface > Switching mode change from the default Browser <> Viewer to Browser > Fullscreen > Viewer and the missing 'estimated quality' item should be present when the image Properties is viewed again.