Issue with play/stop media preview by using the space bar (0.96.2)

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

cadu

Issue with play/stop media preview by using the space bar (0.96.2)

Post by cadu »

Edited 2020-06-18: The thread title was changed, since now the space bar is working as of XnView MP 0.96.2, but with a focus issue (the user need to click with the mouse on the preview window to the space bar shortcut start working).
Could you please consider improve on that, in order to make the space bar to play/pause when pressed from wherever any XnView?
Thank you!

--------------------------------
Hi,

Currently, there is no shortcut to play/stop media (video/audio).

Considering the scenario autoplay setting is off, to play/stop media file through a shortcut would be really handy.

I think one key/shortcut would be enough, since you hit first time to play, and same key again to stop media preview.

Thanks for considering it,
Carlos
Last edited by cadu on Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sirio

Re: Add shortcut to play/stop media (video/audio) preview

Post by Sirio »

Yes, I think the space-bar key should be the play - pause function for video.
Both in browser mode and in View mode.
Many softwares use this short-cut.
Thanks
Sirio
Sched

Post by Sched »

+1 for this idea! I think is an essential shortcut ;)
Sirio

Post by Sirio »

Well, with the version 0.92 now the space bar is working as a Play/Stop, but only if the preview window is activated, I mean, until I don't click with the mouse on the preview, the space-bar don't works. And if I click again in another part of the program, such as thumbnail, the space-bar don't work any more?
Is it possible to make the space-bar always active for Play/Stop video and audio preview?
Anyway, the space-bar is not used in others functions as short-cut.

Bonne journée
Sirio
cadu

Re: Issue with play/stop media preview by using the space bar (0.96.2)

Post by cadu »

Hi,
The same issue reported by @Sirio remains as of XnView MP v0.96.2:
"(...) the space bar is working as a Play/Stop, but only if the preview window is activated".
This issue makes the Play/Stop through the space bar quite ineffective, since after selecting every media in the browser you need to click on the Preview Window later.

Could you please consider improve on that, in order to make the space bar to play/pause when pressed from wherever any XnView?

Thank you!
Carlos
Sirio

Post by Sirio »

Hello Pierre,
The 0,98 version is so great, a lot of new improvements, but XnViewMP is running so fast to the version 1 !!!
We will leave the beta position...
I think the version 1 cannot be ready without improving the play/pause function shortcut on the video and audio files via the space bar.
  • In Browse mode, currently the the space bar is working only if the preview window is active. I mean, if the browser window is active, the space bar don't have any action on the video playing.
  • The second request is on the View mode, the space bar doesn't works at all. Which is not coherent.
Please, Could you complete this function.
Sirio
cadu

Post by cadu »

Sirio wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:45 pm Hello Pierre,
The 0,98 version is so great, a lot of new improvements, but XnViewMP is running so fast to the version 1 !!!
We will leave the beta position...
I think the version 1 cannot be ready without improving the play/pause function shortcut on the video and audio files via the space bar.
  • In Browse mode, currently the the space bar is working only if the preview window is active. I mean, if the browser window is active, the space bar don't have any action on the video playing.
  • The second request is on the View mode, the space bar doesn't works at all. Which is not coherent.
Please, Could you complete this function.
+1
I'm cross-referencing this other post that discuss the same issue pointed by @Sirio
Inconsistent/Different behavior of "space bar" in Browser and Viewer interfaces for video/audio files (v0.96.4 64bits) - XnView Software:
viewtopic.php?f=95&t=40769
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Sirio wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:45 pm
So you would like to have a global shortcut to play/pause video file without to put focus pn preview window, right?
Do you have 'none' in settings>Keyboard - SPACE?
Pierre.
Sirio

Post by Sirio »

So you would like to have a global shortcut to play/pause video file without to put focus on preview window, right?
YES, the space bar should work whatever part of the interface is active. This is useful while selecting music or videos via the browse window.
Do you have 'none' in settings>Keyboard - SPACE?
I was on "Next file", now setting on No action it works perfectly, thank you. :D
Sirio
cadu

Post by cadu »

Sirio wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:51 pm
So you would like to have a global shortcut to play/pause video file without to put focus on preview window, right?
YES, the space bar should work whatever part of the interface is active. This is useful while selecting music or videos via the browse window.
+1
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

:bugconfirmed: Thanks to your detailed description I can reproduce the problem.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.98.3. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
cadu

Post by cadu »

xnview wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:14 pm This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.98.3. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Hi Pierre,
Awesome!
Checked and space bar playing/pausing from every interface: browse/viewer/fullscreen
It improved my XnView workflow exponentially.
Many thanks for the fix!

If I may, after space bar is working properly now, the only major improvement I would ever request about the player is the autoplay toggle available directly on the player interface, instead of being deeply stored in Settings>View (time-consuming to access, and you can't see the state ON/OFF set).
IMO, this is an organic tweak one may want to change often within an XnView session.
This topic was already discussed in this thread:
Add autoplay button in the player bar - XnView Software
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=34513
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

cadu wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:34 pm If I may, after space bar is working properly now, the only major improvement I would ever request about the player is the autoplay toggle available directly on the player interface, instead of being deeply stored in Settings>View (time-consuming to access, and you can't see the state ON/OFF set).
IMO, this is an organic tweak one may want to change often within an XnView session.
This topic was already discussed in this thread:
Add autoplay button in the player bar - XnView Software
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=34513
Please make a new post
Pierre.
Sirio

Post by Sirio »

:D Yes, I tested it with several video formats and audio. In autoplay or in manual play, it works perfectly.
Sirio