Resources hogging during batch operation

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Sabinoo

Resources hogging during batch operation

Post by Sabinoo »

Hello, MP 0.90 here, for something I already had with the previous version too.

Honestly sorry about that, this will be a confusing bug report, because I am confused myself.

The problem, basically: when I run a batch file operation in Xnview MP (usually: resizing), I notice the program is hogging resources.

But it's a very "specific" kind of hogging.
I don't mean this is hogging CPU and RAM, we're not 20 years ago when processing power was a scarce resource.
The problem is that I lack the vocabulary to caracterize what I witness. I've seen this kind of behaviour in a few programs over the years, but I don't know if it's got a specific name to tag it...

So, sorry if this is confusing, here's what happens when Xnview MP runs a batch file operation on my PC:
- when I'm in another program than Xnview MP during a batch process operation, the windows' focus is frequently lost. And then I have to click again inside the program for Windows to remember that is the currently point of focus program.
- some keyboard keys are "as if" hijacked and won't answer to me, I usually use a ton of keyboard shortcuts when I use my PC, but when Xnview MP batches stuff I give up, go back to my browser, click on the "+" icon to open a new tab (control-T won't even respond!) and read meme images with sadness

At first I thought this was caused by another program I installed at the same time as Xnview MP, Voidtool's Everything. This is a local file indexer and search engine, the best I've ever seen, it keeps constantly updated watch on files for absolutely perfect and easily refinable file searches.
I imagined the automatic filesystem watch and MP's "mistake" of still sending files to the recycle bin instead of deleting them during batch operations, was the cause of the slowdown, and the loss of focus in the windows. (I had no idea for the keyboard hijacking.)
Turns out this isn't caused by Everything, I went as far as deactivating it for a while and the problem is still present.

For another reason, I recently switched back to Xnview Classic.
The reason was that MP doesn't allow to resize images by height, it wants me to choose the longest or shortest size. Which is murder when your folders contain mostly vertical photos and a few panoramic images in the middle. The panoramics find themselves shrunk to the point of losing any interest at all. (I mention it here: https://forum.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=37439 ). With Xnview Classic, I can ask to resize images' not longest side, but images' height, and then it properly resizes both the vertical photos uselessly too big for my phone, and the panoramic photos (that will require lots of scrolling, true, but won't have their height shrunk to a few miserable hundred pixels to the point of not showing anything right.)

And I observed that the windows focus and keyboard hogging problem that I have with Xnview MP isn't present at all with Xnview Classic.
I did the testing in exact same conditions, I think. Same OS (win10 home French), same background programs (typically: photoshop, firefox, acdsee classic, notepad++, xnview, winscp, and should it matter I also mention it, avast in the background), same kind of operation (batch resizing).
And when the batch operation is done with Classic, I have none of the problems.
Turning off avast or shutting down the usual programs didn't end the problem with MP.
I've been having it for at least 3 months more or less, I can't say I had it before but I did much less batch operations before, so I can't tell it began by then.

So, yeah.
Sorry for the extremely confusing bug report.
TL;DR version: loss of focus in other programs and some keyboard keys not responding anymore until the batch resizing is done inside Xnview MP; not happening with Xnview Classic; couldn't pinpoint other program interferences.

Have a good day!
(and sorry for the "wtf" bug report, really.)
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Resources hogging during batch operation

Post by xnview »

Sabinoo wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:56 am - when I'm in another program than Xnview MP during a batch process operation, the windows' focus is frequently lost. And then I have to click again inside the program for Windows to remember that is the currently point of focus program.
Do you use 'Delete original'?
The reason was that MP doesn't allow to resize images by height, it wants me to choose the longest or shortest size. Which is murder when your folders contain mostly vertical photos and a few panoramic images in the middle. The panoramics find themselves shrunk to the point of losing any interest at all. (I mention it here: https://forum.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=37439 ). With Xnview Classic, I can ask to resize images' not longest side, but images' height, and then it properly resizes both the vertical photos uselessly too big for my phone, and the panoramic photos (that will require lots of scrolling, true, but won't have their height shrunk to a few miserable hundred pixels to the point of not showing anything right.)
If you enter 0 as width like Classic, you should have the same behaviour
Pierre.
Sabinoo

Post by Sabinoo »

About "delete original": this is a currently bugtracked issue ( https://www.xnview.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=1412 ), I have it ticked but it isn't done for the moment. I don't mind much.

About resizing: I can live on with relying on Classic. But selecting height/width would be much more intuitive.

About keyboard being unusable while a batch is ongoing: that is the real issue.

I'm not really asking for help, more like reporting a bug.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Sabinoo wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:37 pm About "delete original": this is a currently bugtracked issue ( https://www.xnview.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=1412 ), I have it ticked but it isn't done for the moment. I don't mind much.
i would like to know if the problem is always here when 'delete original' is not checked?
About resizing: I can live on with relying on Classic. But selecting height/width would be much more intuitive.
But i don't udnerstand, it's the same in MP & Classic??
Pierre.
Sabinoo

Post by Sabinoo »

xnview wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:06 pm
Sabinoo wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:37 pm About "delete original": this is a currently bugtracked issue ( https://www.xnview.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=1412 ), I have it ticked but it isn't done for the moment. I don't mind much.
i would like to know if the problem is always here when 'delete original' is not checked?
Wow O_o

When I uncheck "delete original", and ask to send processed files to a subdirectory, instead of the usual delete original and use source folder, the problem is fully gone!

I can easily alt-tab in and out of Xnview, my keyboard answers to every call when I'm with other programs, my mouse pointer doesn't constantly change to the wheel saying the computer is working on stuff...

Simply unticking to delete original, and asking for a subdir, did the job O_o
xnview wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:06 pm
Sabinoo wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:37 pm About resizing: I can live on with relying on Classic. But selecting height/width would be much more intuitive.
But i don't udnerstand, it's the same in MP & Classic??
No, this is only happening in MP.
In Classic, if I keep ticked the options to delete original, and use the source path as destination, there is no focus stealing and keyboard hogging.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

i've sent you a PM
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

See issue for current status and some details.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.91. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
syl79

Post by syl79 »

Hello Pierre,

I've face the same issue, it seems to appears only on windows 10
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

syl79 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:09 pm I've face the same issue, it seems to appears only on windows 10
Could you describe your issue?
Pierre.