Move to not working

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

jadO

Move to not working

Post by jadO »

Already reported for v91b4.
But still present in 0.92: viewtopic.php?f=95&t=37738&p=151128#p151128

Move to via context menu is not working correctly. It is moving files without tagged categories or color labels. Also it results in error dialog that source cannot be removed.
Moving files via drag and drop into new folder does work without error message and it keeps categories and colors.
jadO

Re: Move to not working

Post by jadO »

jadO wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:53 amMoving files via drag and drop into new folder does work without error message and it keeps categories and colors.
I need to correct myself. Moving files via drag and drop also removes all related information from that file.

I had a file which was categorised, tagged, rated and color tagged. From a filtered view I have dragged it into a different folder in XnViewMP.
In the new folder it was displayed without any tags, rating or color tagging. But this information was not lost, it was still there, because database displayed a 0 byte file with all these information attached still in the old place.
So the file was moved to its new location but the information attached to it wasn't.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

To be clear:

Do you have an XMP file (sidecar) attached to the image file?
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
jadO

Post by jadO »

m.Th. wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:51 pm To be clear:

Do you have an XMP file (sidecar) attached to the image file?
It is a video file. And no XMP file attached. Metadata is in XnvieMPs database.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

same for an image file?
Pierre.
jadO

Post by jadO »

Please see here further investigation: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=38488#p154642

Maybe a moderator wanna merge the threads?
jadO

Post by jadO »

I think I have solved my own issue.

It seems that I had set the destination folder as "excluded" in the catalog settings. Not so obviously this setting seems to not display any rating, or tagging. So when a rated or categorised file is moved into there, this information is not displayed.

However there remains a bug:

1. Set a folder to be exluded
2. Have a file that has been rated and categorised.
3. Copy this file to some destination
4. Remove all categories and rating from the copied file
5. Move the original file into the excluded folder
6. Verifiey the files has been move. It shows without any rating and categorie in that folder
7. Now move the copied file that does not have any ratings or categories into the original place

Result as it is: The copied file, that had all categories and ratings removed, displays the categories and ratings from the original file.

Result as it should be: The copied file that had all ratings and categories removed should not show the categories and ratings from the original file.

Sidenote: The ratings and categories are only displayed in the original location. If you copy the file from the excluded location to some other folder, no categories or ratings are displayed thus not being copied. But if you move that copied file back into the original location then rating and categories get displayed again.

The underlying feature seems to be very dangerous and not well thought. If a folder has been exluded, there is no warning when moving rated and categorised files into this folder, all this work might be permanently lost. I think there MUST be a warning before such action is carried out.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jadO wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:21 am I think I have solved my own issue.

It seems that I had set the destination folder as "excluded" in the catalog settings. Not so obviously this setting seems to not display any rating, or tagging. So when a rated or categorised file is moved into there, this information is not displayed.
you don't use embedded metadata or sidecar, only catalog, right?
Pierre.
jadO

Post by jadO »

xnview wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:18 am you don't use embedded metadata or sidecar, only catalog, right?
Yes, only catalog.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

See issue for current status and some details.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.96. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.