Overlay icon for companion files

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

PeterM

Overlay icon for companion files

Post by PeterM »

Hello,

It would be nice if there were an icon indicating that some of the companion files is present. I really like how the companion files can be defined. I don't show the companion files (Settings > Browser > File list > Show companion files). So it would help if I could see an icon similar to EXIF, XMP on a thumbnail. It could be just another option in Settings > Browser > Thumbnail > Overlay icons.

Something related, just for your information. I'm processing my RAWs in RawTherapee which writes .PP3 files. I don't remember, if PP3 were predefined as companion files for raw in the settings. I think yes and the definition was "pp3" which didn't work. I had to extend it to "{ext}.pp3;pp3".
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Overlay icon for companion files

Post by xnview »

right...
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

See issue for current status and some details.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.98.0. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

It doesn't work for my CR2+PP3 companion files. I have PP3 (used by RawTherapee) correctly set in Settings - Browser - File list - Companion files.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

PeterM wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:40 pm It doesn't work for my CR2+PP3 companion files. I have PP3 (used by RawTherapee) correctly set in Settings - Browser - File list - Companion files.
you need to re-import files (update catalog from files)
Pierre.
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I deleted the folder from catalog, restarted XnView MP, copied the files to another folder, still no icons.
I made sure that Sidecar is checked in the Overlays icons settings.

I'm a bit puzzled with the terminology "companion files" vs. "sidecar". In the Browser - Metadata - IPTC & XMP, there is an option "Update or create XMP sidecar" (which is unselected in my case). So maybe the sidecar overlay works only for .XMP files?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

PeterM wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:36 pm Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I deleted the folder from catalog, restarted XnView MP, copied the files to another folder, still no icons.
I made sure that Sidecar is checked in the Overlays icons settings.
Which settings do you have in Settings>Metadata & Settings>File list - Custom filter?
I'm a bit puzzled with the terminology "companion files" vs. "sidecar". In the Browser - Metadata - IPTC & XMP, there is an option "Update or create XMP sidecar" (which is unselected in my case). So maybe the sidecar overlay works only for .XMP files?
Companion term is better and need to be used everywhere
Pierre.
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

xnview wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:00 am Which settings do you have in Settings>Metadata & Settings>File list - Custom filter?
custom_filter.png
And for information, my settings for companion files:
companion_settings.png
Please let me know if I can provide more info.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ok currently icon is only when XMP sidecar is used
Pierre.
PeterM

Post by PeterM »

Hi Pierre,
May I ask you to reopen this issue and add support for any companion files, such as PP3?
Thanks