0.93.1 Edit IPTC/XMP Caption fails in single image mode

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

fractl

0.93.1 Edit IPTC/XMP Caption fails in single image mode

Post by fractl »

XnView MP Linux
Version 0.93.1 64bits (Mar 7 2019)

When I'm in single image mode, and I use the Edit IPTC/XMP tool to edit the caption, the value doesn't stick. It holds the value for as long as I'm in single image mode (I can even go onto next image and then return), and I can reopen the dialog and see my changes, but when I go back to Browse mode, I can't see my changes any more if I open the same dialog from Browse Mode. (Interestingly, I *can* see my changes again when I reopen the single image BUT when I close XNVIew MP any changes made in Single Image mode are discarded.)

Effect: IPTC Caption edits are lost - and not in an obvious way.

To reproduce:
1. Double click on an image in Browse mode to Open it
2. Open the Edit IPTC-IIM/XMP dialog, using the Ctrl+I shortcut or via Tool menu
3. Make a change to the Caption text and hit Apply
4. Reopen dialog and verify that change is still there.
4a. Move onto another image and back, verify change
5. Exit to Browse mode and use Tooltip (or Edit IPTC dialog) to see the caption - change is NOT there
6. Reopen the image in single mode and see that change IS there
7. Restart XNView MP and the change is now permanently discarded

Expected behaviour: Editing caption text box from Single Image mode and clicking Apply correctly saves that text into the correct field

I love that I can access the Edit IPTC dialog from Single Image mode - this was a feature that I requested, so thanks for implementing it 8) - but this subtle bug needs ironing out.

Best regards,
Julie
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.93.1 Edit IPTC/XMP Caption fails in single image mode

Post by xnview »

you need to save the picture file
Pierre.
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

It seems it's the same question than this post
viewtopic.php?f=110&t=38713&sid=61c9a5b ... f767e44f9c
Last edited by michel038 on Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fractl

Post by fractl »

This problem is indeed a duplicate of the one mentioned in the newsgroup, although I feel it has been resolved in a really weird way, and not in one that is particularly helpful.

I think it would make the most sense if the Edit IPTC-IIM button functioned exactly the same way in Single Image as in Browser Mode.

Now, if I click on Edit IPTC-IIM in Single Image mode, I can edit the Caption, and press Write and it is saved. This is good. (However, I can't see the use of the Apply button, it's just confusing.) BUT - when I try to close the image or exit XNView MP, I am asked to Save the the image. If I do this, I lose JPG quality, and - this is the bit I don't get - it turns out to be totally unnecessary! If I don't save, the caption is still there when I reopen XNView.

if I highlight one image and click on Edit IPTC-IIM in Browser Mode, I can edit the Caption, and press Write and it is saved. Cancel throws away my changes, there is no Apply option, and - most importantly - I am not asked if I want to save the image. Please could this be replicated in the Single Image mode?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

fractl wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:17 pm if I highlight one image and click on Edit IPTC-IIM in Browser Mode, I can edit the Caption, and press Write and it is saved. Cancel throws away my changes, there is no Apply option, and - most importantly - I am not asked if I want to save the image. Please could this be replicated in the Single Image mode?
Now in edit mode, you have 'write' in IPTC dialog
Pierre.
fractl

Post by fractl »

Now in edit mode, you have 'write' in IPTC dialog
Yes, and it's great that it works - thank you! (Although what use is the 'Apply button then?) But it leaves the file marked as "unsaved" so I now have to navigate a Save dialog every time I make a single image caption change!?

I want it to behave like it does in Browser Mode, and reset the file saved flag so that this question doesn't get asked.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

:bugconfirmed: Thanks to your detailed description I can reproduce the problem.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.98.3. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.