Hidden folders not visible in folder tree

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Akovia

Hidden folders not visible in folder tree

Post by Akovia »

I can see and access my hidden folders in the viewer pane, but they do not show in the tree in the folder pane. I obviously have the Show hidden files & folders option enabled, but that doesn't help for the folder pane.

Version 0.93.1 64bits (Mar 7 2019)
Arch Linux
Arch Linux
XnView MP
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Hidden folders not visible in folder tree

Post by xnview »

even if you restart it?
Pierre.
Akovia

Post by Akovia »

That worked.

I don't need in hidden folders often, but I know I've seen this before. I'll try to remember to restart it from now on.

Thanks
Arch Linux
XnView MP
Akovia

Post by Akovia »

I realized not long after this last post that you have to restart every single time after changing any folder name, or if a hidden folder is not showing, to have it sorted and visible in the folder tree. I don't know if these issues are related but it seems so. To have my folder tree accurate I would have to restart the program after almost any folder operation.

I work in directories that routinely have over 500 folders. If I change a folder name, I have a few choices.
  • Restart the program
    Scroll down to the bottom of the folder tree where it is placed after a renaming operation.
    Go up one directory where it is sorted properly in the main thumbnail view, but is very slow because it wants to load 500+ thumbnails.
None of these options are quick and easy when working with large collections of images.

Would you consider a feature request to have this refresh automatically after any folder operation, or at least a manual refresh button for the folder tree itself? (The F5 refresh seems to only operate on the mail thumb view window.)

Even better would be I'm overlooking something that's already there.

Thanks!
Arch Linux
XnView MP
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Akovia wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:07 pm I realized not long after this last post that you have to restart every single time after changing any folder name, or if a hidden folder is not showing, to have it sorted and visible in the folder tree. I don't know if these issues are related but it seems so. To have my folder tree accurate I would have to restart the program after almost any folder operation.
You change a folder name in thumbnail view, and the change is not visible in folder tree?
Pierre.
Akovia

Post by Akovia »

xnview wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:05 pm You change a folder name in thumbnail view, and the change is not visible in folder tree?
I guess this is more complicated then I thought at first.

If I rename the folder from within xnviewmp, it seems to reflect the new name properly and properly sorts the folders.

If a folder is renamed externally, it does see the change and reflects the changed name, but it sorts the folder to the end of the folder tree without a way to sort it back alphabetically without restarting the program. I believe this is the root of the hidden folders going missing from the tree as well.

Here's an example.
https://mega.nz/file/xQJGSajQ#boeWhxMQe ... 1wUotzHK0o
Arch Linux
XnView MP
Akovia

Post by Akovia »

Could you please consider this again?

This is still broken, and I've uncovered even more problems.

If you delete a subfolder and there are hidden folders in the same directory, it removes the hidden folders from the tree. There is no way to refresh to get them back, only restarting the program will remedy the problem. This is extremely frustrating as I can no longer navigate using the tree, or drag images around and drop them on tree folders.

It seems like folder views have been broken for a long time now and hope you will seriously consider looking at this. It really breaks up an workflow.

Arch Linux
XnView MP
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

:bugconfirmed: Thanks to your detailed description I can reproduce the problem.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.98.3. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
Akovia

Post by Akovia »

Fantastic!!!

I've been using it for a while to make sure, and it really seems like it's fixed.

Thank you!
Arch Linux
XnView MP