Tagging

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Tagging

Post by xnview »

See issue for current status and some details.
Pierre.
PhotonTamer

Post by PhotonTamer »

Hello,

Technical info...
Windows 10 Pro / XNView MP 0.98.2 64bit

Well, I feel really stupid, but no matter what, I cannot find the panel/thingie as it was shown in the first posting in this thread.

I added a line to xnview.ini (which is in my Windows user directory), but wasn't sure WHERE to add it, so I added it at the end of the "Start"-branch, below the line "surveyCheck". Restarted the program, checked "Categories", which appears in the main window (Browser) as before. But as far as I can see, nothing has changed ...but then, I'm not even sure if I'm not barking at the wrong tree all the time? :mrgreen:

What I figured out so far after some Google-fu:

Pressing CTRL-T / choosing "Tag" from the context menu just puts a checkmark to the selected picture in the browser. That's all. Not sure if that's supposed to happen?
Pressing CTRL-I opens EDIT IPTC, where I have tabs like "keywords" and "categories", but no "tags". (I admit, I am confused by the usage of these three words that are connected somehow, it appears...)

Could somebody please point me into the right direction? :?

I found a PDF named XNViewMP for Beginners, but before I work my way through that - it's from 2017, so I'm not sure if it's still accurate for the newer versions?
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

Hi,
Pressing CTRL-T / choosing "Tag" from the context menu just puts a checkmark to the selected picture in the browser. That's all. Not sure if that's supposed to happen?
That is the way to "tag" files in XnViewMP. This feature can be used if you want to mark or "remember" temporarly some files. These tags are stored only in XnViewMP Database, no standard metadata for this.

But commonly, people use the word "tagging" to mean "Add keywords on photos". That's the reason for the title of this thread. "Keywording" would have been a best choice.
( Late Edit : "Categorizing" as jadO says in next post, is a best choice, yes ! )

- Pierre suggested a new way to add keywords in this post.
To enable the new method, add
newTagsEdit=true
in [Preview] section of xnview.ini file
(And option "export" must be enabled in Settings, Metadata , in order to export categories to keywords)
(V0.98.2 only)

Previous methods to add keywords with XnViewMP were :
- use the Keywords tab in "edit iptc" or "edit xmp" windows
- check a category in "Categories" pane with Settings, metadata, export, ( iptc or xmp or xmp sideacr) enabled
- use custom buttons in "Category sets" pane (same settings)
Last edited by michel038 on Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.
jadO

Post by jadO »

michel038 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:55 pm But commonly, people use the word "tagging" to mean "Add keywords on photos". That's the reason for the title of this thread. "Keywording" would have been a best choice.
- check a category in "Categories" pane with Settings, metadata, export, ( iptc or xmp or xmp sideacr) enabled
- use custom buttons in "Category sets" pane (same settings)
Yes that's unfortunate naming should be consistent. But therefore "Categorizing" would have been the correct choice I believe as these "Keywords" are labelled Categories and there is even a Category Sets pane. It's a bit odd though and for newbies it would be easier if the software would use tagging and keywords in the most common way.
PhotonTamer

Post by PhotonTamer »

So sorry for not replying any earlier, but life happened, and then I just couldn't find this thread again and there wasn't a notification e-mail, which I was used from other discussion boards. Anyway...
michel038 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:55 pm To enable the new method, add
newTagsEdit=true
in [Preview] section of xnview.ini file
(And option "export" must be enabled in Settings, Metadata , in order to export categories to keywords)
(V0.98.2 only)
Better late than never, so: THANK YOU! I knew I was doing something wrong, so now I know and it works. I still haven't really figured out how to add... keywords... tags... categories... well: Words in a way that enables me to search my huge picture database for certain motives, like "waterfall" or "night" or whatever - but I'm slowly getting there by try and error.

One thing I've noticed: I often end up with two categories that are technically identical, but with different sets of upper- and lowercase letters at the beginning of the word. Example, "Night" and "night" - which makes it rather difficult to search ALL pictures I shot at night/Night... :mrgreen:

(And this time I'm setting the checkmark "notify me when a reply is posted", too! :idea: :wink: )
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

I often end up with two categories that are technically identical, but with different sets of upper- and lowercase letters at the beginning of the word. Example, "Night" and "night"
I think you should join these categories :
-Select "night" in "Categories filter" pane
- ( If "Match" options are right ) you will see all pictures having this category. Select them .
- In "Categories" pane, uncheck night, check Night
- release selected photos.
- Delete the night category which is now empty.

I suggest always keeping categories and keywords in sync. To do this, keep the "export categories to keywords" option enabled (in Settings, Metadata).
When you work on a category (move, rename ...) you must always select photos having this category , then unmark / mark, then release selection.
These 4 steps to ensure that XnViewMP will select relevant photos and write updated keywords when selection is released.

If some photos contain keywords that were added by other softwares, you can use "Import" option (in Settings, Metadata) , and "Add" the containing folder in "Settings, Catalog" screen.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.98.3. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
Franky

Post by Franky »

Bonjour,

Si vous avez ajouté la ligne Preview/newTagsEdit=true dans le fichier ini, ne pas oublier de la supprimer, sinon vous aurez comme moi un fonctionnement anormal.

L'option de "cacher les catégories assignées" est pour enlever ou non de la liste les catégories déjà assignée à une image ?
J'ai testé et dans les 2 cas ( validé ou non ), les catégories déjà assignées apparaissent.

Sinon, il y a le texte "Hide Assigned Categories" dans le mode de recherche qui reste en anglais.
Recherche_Hide Assigned Categories.png
Recherche_Hide Assigned Categories.png (6.07 KiB) Viewed 911 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Franky wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:55 pm Si vous avez ajouté la ligne Preview/newTagsEdit=true dans le fichier ini, ne pas oublier de la supprimer, sinon vous aurez comme moi un fonctionnement anormal.
Oui cette option va disparaitre...
L'option de "cacher les catégories assignées" est pour enlever ou non de la liste les catégories déjà assignée à une image ?
J'ai testé et dans les 2 cas ( validé ou non ), les catégories déjà assignées apparaissent.
Lors de la recherche, les propositions montrent ou non les catégories déjà assignées.
Sinon, il y a le texte "Hide Assigned Categories" dans le mode de recherche qui reste en anglais.
Recherche_Hide Assigned Categories.png
un oubli
Pierre.
jadO

Post by jadO »

I think there is one more thing to implement: An option to assign a keyboard shortcut to enter the new search field in Category Sets pane.
Currently you have to click into the field which is not handy.
For the Categories pane, such an option exists, which is very helpful for rapidly assigning keywords.