Updating Catalog for Added/Moved/Removed Files?

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

metal450

Re: Updating Catalog for Added/Moved/Removed Files?

Post by metal450 »

Also, one more suggestion:

It would be super handy if "Synchronize" could be added as a context menu entry when right-clicking a folder in the tree. This is how Lightroom handles it. There are two benefits:

1) You can synchronize without needing to dig through the settings
2) More importantly, you can "synchronize" more selectively. Meaning, if you right-click the highest-level root folder in your catalog, it will synchronize everything below that (like we've discussed). But you can also right click a lower-level folder & synchronise from there. In other words, rather than synchronizing from D:\Pics (the entire catalog), you can right click D:\Pics\Trips, and synchronice just the tree from that level. With a very large catalog with thousands of folders, being able to synchronize subtrees more selectively like this saves tons of time, when doing it in LR :)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

So what do you think:
- catalog>synchronize; synchronize only the folders already in the catalog
- Folder tree>synchronize: synchronize recursively the selected folder
Pierre.
metal450

Post by metal450 »

>catalog>synchronize; synchronize only the folders already in the catalog

Personally, if it could be synchronized directly from the folder tree, I wouldn't use the button under tools-settings->catalog. However, for the sake of other users, my recommendation in that place would still be to have an explicit option (i.e. checkbox?) to decide if it includes synchronizing subfolders or not. Otherwise, it could be ambiguous/confusing.

> Folder tree>synchronize: synchronize recursively the selected folder

Yeah, that would be perfect :) Just for clarity, I attached how it looks in LR - though I'm pretty sure it's clear enough :) When Synchronize Folder is run, then everything below that folder will be updated so that the catalog again exactly matches what's on disk.
Attachments
2021-03-02 09.36.51.png
2021-03-02 09.36.51.png (90.2 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
metal450

Post by metal450 »

Hi again,

Just to clarify: I noticed that the changelog for 0.98.3 referred to this issue - however, it seems there's still no way to synchronize fully (either via the folder tree, ideal, or in the options)?

I'm guessing that was just to fix the non-removal of orphaned files, but in case I missed it, is there now a way to 'fully' update the catalog from changes, per the discussion above?

If not, I don't suppose I should submit a separate issue for that, for clarity? :)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

metal450 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:00 am If not, I don't suppose I should submit a separate issue for that, for clarity? :)
yes please
Pierre.
metal450

Post by metal450 »

Done, I rewrote it as a more concise single post here: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=42353 :)