Olympus High Resolution files and XnView

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

roadcone

Olympus High Resolution files and XnView

Post by roadcone »

Some Olympus cameras can take high resolution images. The highres mode takes eight images; using Image Stabilisation technology, it moves the sensor by less than a pixel between each of the exposure. It then combines the eight images into one raw / jpeg and creates a raw file that has higher resolution than a standard raw. The process writes three files to the camera's card:

The combined raw is written as an orf file and if raw+jpeg is enabled, a highres jpeg is also written - XnView lists both of these in the browser and displays a thumbnail. Both file sizes are much larger than a regular file of that type.

The first image of the eight is also saved as an ori file. This is a regular sized raw. XnView does not display the ori files when Settings, Custom, Images is ticked. I can force the display of the ori by adding 'ori' in to the include line. XnView now displays the file but not the thumbnail (at least, it uses what appears to be a default image).

Given that this is a newish feature of Olympus cameras I can understand that XnView does not support this file (I understand that the file is normal, it is just the extension that is not). Is this a candidate for a new feature request?
Attachments
ori.JPG
ori.JPG (22.42 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Olympus High Resolution files and XnView

Post by xnview »

could you send me a sample file?
Pierre.
roadcone

Post by roadcone »

I've uploaded the file to We Transfer:

https://we.tl/t-7WL8tOgZfj
Patrice.

Post by Patrice. »

Same here (Ubuntu 20.04 + latest XnView MP)
screenshot_20210305-133456.png
screenshot_20210305-133456.png (55.8 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
It appears that
ART opens it like a charm (ART is a fork of Rawtherapee) and sure Rawtherapee does it
Photivo opens it as well
Darktable also
Lightzone cannot...

But my Desktop recognize it (MATE Desktop) :D
screenshot_20210305-135447.png

The good thing is when I double click in XnView MP on that .ori file ART automatically opens it :D
roadcone

Post by roadcone »

Yup! Agree. What I didn't try is simply changing the extension from ori to the regular orf. If that worked then it would be the case that the file is (largely) the same and that it is only the extension that is not recognised. May try that when I'm back on the photo laptop.
Patrice.

Post by Patrice. »

roadcone wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:56 am Yup! Agree. What I didn't try is simply changing the extension from ori to the regular orf. If that worked then it would be the case that the file is (largely) the same and that it is only the extension that is not recognised. May try that when I'm back on the photo laptop.
It does work! I only made a copy and renamed it as .orf and in Xnview MP it shows the proper image, size, etc :D
screenshot_20210306-114733.png
screenshot_20210306-114733.png (55.65 KiB) Viewed 1496 times

Also with the renamed extension XnConvert (the app itself) can now export it to .jpg without throwing an error and shows the proper thumbnail and data in the input tab.
screenshot_20210306-120502.png
screenshot_20210306-120502.png (39.27 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
screenshot_20210306-120433.png
roadcone

Post by roadcone »

Excellent, so it should be straight forward for the software people to add to their application.

It's good to have such a resolution.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ok i'll add ORI extension issue
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.98.3. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.