Restoring the last used [Keep Ratio] and [Background Color] options

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

JustPassingByToSayHi

Restoring the last used [Keep Ratio] and [Background Color] options

Post by JustPassingByToSayHi »

The [Canvas Resize] feature is handled differently in XnView Classic and XnView MP, and, as of my experience, the former does it a lot better than XnView MP.

Whenever I use the [Canvas Resize] feature in XnView Classic, the software restores the previously used [Keep Ratio] and [Background Color] options. This is important when I need to resize the canvas of an image multiple times in a row. In 99% of my use cases, I do it with [Keep Ratio] disabled and XnView Classic remembers my preference. XnView MP does not do that and it forces me to manually change [Keep Ratio] and [Background Color] every time I need to resize the canvas of an image multiple times in a row.

I know that XnView MP allows me to create a new preset with the options desired. But then [Width] and [Height] are included in the preset, too, and I don't need that.

tldr; I'd like XnView MP to remember and restore the last used [Keep Ratio] and [Background Color] whenever I do a multiple canvas resize on an image. Automatically selecting the [Last Used] preset whenever I press Shift+C would suffice, too.
Attachments
Canvas.jpg
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Restoring the last used [Keep Ratio] and [Background Color] options

Post by cday »

+1

And also remember the Size (pixels)|Size (percent) setting, please...
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

:bugconfirmed: Thanks to your detailed description I can reproduce the problem.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.98.3. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
JustPassingByToSayHi

As of 0.98.4, it doesn't seem to remember the value of the [Keep Ratio] checkbox. It's always checked even if I set it unchecked when resizing the canvas.

Everything else is fixed.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

JustPassingByToSayHi wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:32 am As of 0.98.4, it doesn't seem to remember the value of the [Keep Ratio] checkbox. It's always checked even if I set it unchecked when resizing the canvas.
how do you reproduce?
Pierre.
JustPassingByToSayHi

xnview wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:08 am
JustPassingByToSayHi wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:32 am As of 0.98.4, it doesn't seem to remember the value of the [Keep Ratio] checkbox. It's always checked even if I set it unchecked when resizing the canvas.
how do you reproduce?
Please, watch the video attached
Attachments
bandicam 2021-09-02 15-51-50-402.mp4
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 53 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

fixed in next release...
Pierre.
JustPassingByToSayHi

It was fixed until 0.99.6 64bits (Dec 10 2021) got released. It's broken now again in the latest version.

Edited: The last version that I used and it had the bug fixed was 0.99.1. I've rolled back to it for now.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

JustPassingByToSayHi wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:35 pm It was fixed until 0.99.6 64bits (Dec 10 2021) got released. It's broken now again in the latest version.

Edited: The last version that I used and it had the bug fixed was 0.99.1. I've rolled back to it for now.
Sorry but i can't reproduce, how?
Pierre.
JustPassingByToSayHi

xnview wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:38 pm
JustPassingByToSayHi wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:35 pm It was fixed until 0.99.6 64bits (Dec 10 2021) got released. It's broken now again in the latest version.

Sorry but i can't reproduce, how?
Please, see the video attached.
The bug occurs in the newest version (0.99.7) as well.
Attachments
bandicam 2022-02-12 21-16-51-739.mp4
(637.21 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

right i reopened the issue
:bugconfirmed: Thanks to your detailed description I can reproduce the problem.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 1.00 beta. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
JustPassingByToSayHi

xnview wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:14 am This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 1.00 beta. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
I can confirm that the bug is fixed in XnView MP 1.00 beta.

P.S. In XnView MP 1.00 beta, there's a small visual glitch with the border around the grid (the left border is missing) and the background color square (the left and the bottom borders are thicker than the other ones). It happens if I the display scaling value is set to 125% in the Windows settings (it's the standard scaling value for 15'' laptops). It doesn't affect the functionality so I'm not sure if it's worth reporting but anyway.
Attachments
glitch.jpg
JustPassingByToSayHi

Well, after all, it doesn't work quite the same way it used to up to 0.99.1...

As far as I recall, in 0.99.1 and before, XnView MP remembered the last used [Keep Ratio] and [Background Color] options for EACH image (tab). Now, it does it globally which is very inconvenient.

Let's say I'm editing an image and its size is 1280x720. In the latest beta release, I change its canvas size to 1024x720 and XnView MP remembers these values. Right after that I open another image and its size is 320x200. I open up the [Canvas Resize] window and what do I see? I see that XnView MP has restored the values used for the previous image (1024x720) but I don't need them anymore because I'm editing another image now and the [Canvas Resize] window should have the values 320x200 instead.

Edited:

The most convenient way I see it is to remember the size and background color values for each image (tab) separately and the keep ratio value globally.