Batch conversion without changeing original jpg-file

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

enigma2012

Batch conversion without changeing original jpg-file

Post by enigma2012 »

Hi, I'm using xnviewmp since a while and miss a way that allows me to collect some jpgs and do a copy and rename to a specific target folder. The operation should keep the original content of the files unchanged.

To do so I always use the batch convert tool which works very fine. The only point is that the tool always recreates the jpg-files which is not necessary. Is it possible to configure the batch convert tool in a way that it doesn't recreate the jpg-file? I miss an option like "keep original file content unchanged" in the "Format" settings of the "Output"-Tab in the "Batch convert" dialog window.

I tried to use "Import and Sort" but here I miss the possibility to select a bunch of files. The tool always takes all the files that are located in a directory which is not possible in my use case as the raw-files are in the same directory. A filter option would be helpful.
Hope someone knows a solution.

Regards
Matthias
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Batch conversion without changeing original jpg-file

Post by cday »

enigma2012 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:13 pm I'm using xnviewmp and miss a way that allows me to collect some jpgs and do a copy and rename to a specific target folder. The operation should keep the original content of the files unchanged.
You wish to move and batch rename selected files?

Is it possible to configure the batch convert tool in a way that it doesn't recreate the jpg-file?
I don't think so, even with no actions selected the files will be opened and resaved, but in the case of JPEG files on the Output tab there is a save option to 'use original quality when possible', which should avoid or minimise any significant change in the resaved images.

But if you only wish to move and rename selected files, I don't see any reason to use Batch convert: why not first move the files, in XnView MP's browser or using your operating system, and then batch rename them, using Tools > Batch rename... in the browser, if the renaming options you require are supported, or if necessary using a separate renaming software? There is no 'move and rename' function as far as I know.

Or have I misunderstood something in your request?
enigma2012

Post by enigma2012 »

Hi cday, thanks for your quick answer. I think I have to explain how I organize my photos.
- First I store the photos from all the different devices we have in the family in a folder structure where I keep the jpg's and raw's without any changes.
- Then I select the jpg-files copy them to another folder and do a rename.
For the second step I use "Batch rename" at the moment which always converts the original files. At the end it's nothing critical but still not necessary.
So, as I'm copying the files, the better alternative would be to use the "Import and Sort" tool to do the job. Unfortunately this tool doesn't allow to select single files with a filter (*.jpg) it always uses the content of a complete folder. Thus copying the raw-files too which is not wanted.

Seems that I'm working in an unusual way as the general functionality is already implemented. I'll add this to the wish list.
Thank's for your support
Matthias
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

enigma2012 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:26 am I think I have to explain how I organize my photos:
- First I store the photos from all the different devices we have in the family in a folder structure where I keep the jpg's and raw's without any changes.
- Then I select the jpg-files, copy them to another folder and do a rename.
For the second step I use "Batch rename" at the moment which always converts the original files.
In what respect does Batch rename "convert" the files? Do you see any difference in the images when the files are opened, is there any difference in the file properties when you view them? Are you possibly concerned as the files are JPEGs about loss of quality?

I don't know exactly how files are renamed, but I would imagine that only the bytes containing the name would be altered.

So, as I'm copying the files, the better alternative would be to use the "Import and Sort" tool to do the job. Unfortunately this tool doesn't allow to select single files with a filter (*.jpg) it always uses the content of a complete folder. Thus copying the raw-files too which is not wanted.

Seems that I'm working in an unusual way as the general functionality is already implemented. I'll add this to the wish list.
Maybe someone else can advise on that?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

enigma2012 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:13 pm I tried to use "Import and Sort" but here I miss the possibility to select a bunch of files. The tool always takes all the files that are located in a directory which is not possible in my use case as the raw-files are in the same directory. A filter option would be helpful.
you would like to select formats to copy?
Pierre.
enigma2012

Post by enigma2012 »

cday wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:18 pm
enigma2012 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:26 am For the second step I use "Batch rename" at the moment which always converts the original files.
I don't know exactly how files are renamed, but I would imagine that only the bytes containing the name would be altered.
Hi, sorry I made a mistake when describing step 2. The tool I'm using is not "Batch Rename" it's "Batch Convert" as I'm copying the files to a new directory too.
enigma2012

Post by enigma2012 »

xnview wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:20 am
enigma2012 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:13 pm I tried to use "Import and Sort" but here I miss the possibility to select a bunch of files. The tool always takes all the files that are located in a directory which is not possible in my use case as the raw-files are in the same directory. A filter option would be helpful.
you would like to select formats to copy?
Hi xnview, in my situation yes. There are jpg's and the according raw's in the same directory. What I will do is to copy and rename the jpg's only. The "Import and Sort" tool only allows to select a source directory. It's not possible to select single files as source or as you suggested to add a filter to the files list which would help in my situation too.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

enigma2012 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:19 am
Hi xnview, in my situation yes. There are jpg's and the according raw's in the same directory. What I will do is to copy and rename the jpg's only. The "Import and Sort" tool only allows to select a source directory. It's not possible to select single files as source or as you suggested to add a filter to the files list which would help in my situation too.
See issue for current status and some details.
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.98.4. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.