Retrieving missing category links + backup issue

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

cadu

Retrieving missing category links + backup issue

Post by cadu »

Hi,

I am new to XnView. Great tool! I would appreciate help to a couple of issues:

a) In this thread http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=1547 it is mentioned that to execute a backup properly, the following files should be stored:
- xnwiew.ini
- bookmark.ini
- default.bar
- category.db
- XnView.db
I am using Xnview 1.98.8 in windows 7. In the XnView default folder installation none of this files are available. So, where could I find them? (in options/system integration "as INI folder" + "folder used for other files" is set to "XnView").

b) I had categorized a plenty of files. Then I changed the name of folders in windows explorer. XnView still showing the files, but the link was lost (the file can't be previewed, the thumbnail change icon and so on). Is there any way to retrieve missing category links automatically? Something like scan folders and reestablish links in a easy way without the need of categorize everything again...

Thanks in advance,
Cadu
cadu

Re: Retrieving missing category links + backup issue

Post by cadu »

a) Actually, I could find in C:\Users\Cadu\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\XnView the files:

- category.bak
- category.db
- xnview.ini
- cache (it is a folder which inside there is the file "XnView.db")

Should it be sufficient to backup? (bearing in mind recovery all category structure after computer have been formatted).

Ps.: I was expecting to find these files in "C:\Program Files (x86)\XnView". But the right path is the above, isn't it?

b) I still having the problem to retrieve missing category links automatically, as mentioned in detail in former post. Is it possible? How to?
Ps.: Besides the problem of remane folder and lost the category links in internal drive, other problem happens with external drives once many time the driver is inserted it could appear with different units (F: or G:). So, to scan and retrieve the categories issue would applied to this situation as well.

Best,
Cadu
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

you can find the path to store files in About dialog
Pierre.
cadu

Post by cadu »

Hi,

Many thanks for answering. I could deal with backup issue, but I still needing help to deal with "Retrieving missing category links".

HELP=> Considering former posts, I am resuming all content as following:

I have categorized a plenty of files. Then I changed the name of folders in windows explorer. XnView still showing the thumbnails in the "categories tree", but the link with the file was lost (the file can't be previewed, the thumbnail changed icon etc.).

Besides this problem with renaming folder and lost the category links in internal drive (C:), other problem happens with external drives once many time the driver is inserted it could appear with different units (F: or G:). So, the issue of scan and retrieve the categories linking would applied to this situation as well.

=> Is there any way to retrieve missing / broken links in "categories tree" automatically? Something like scan folders and reestablish links in a easy way without the need of categorizing everything again... How to?

I found a former thread from Nov 2011 related http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=24340 in which it seems impossible to Xnview 1.98...

Then, I am trying XnViewMP 0.39 as well. But it seems to behavior like 1.38 in relation to the missing / broken links and the impossibility of reestablish / retrieve them. I still couldn't handle this issue as well. So, any solution to any of XnView version will be welcome!

Ps.: Video and audio preview in MP version aren't as good as in 1.98 (some video formats can't be seen and the preview buttons aren't available to video and audio).

Best,
Cadu
cadu

Post by cadu »

Any help?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

cadu wrote: => Is there any way to retrieve missing / broken links in "categories tree" automatically? Something like scan folders and reestablish links in a easy way without the need of categorizing everything again... How to?
Currently the only way is to use a SQL tools like sqlitebrowser
Ps.: Video and audio preview in MP version aren't as good as in 1.98 (some video formats can't be seen and the preview buttons aren't available to video and audio).
Which video formats?
Buttons are added in the next version...
Pierre.