REQ: Add a toolbar button "Change drive"

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Dreamer
XnThusiast

REQ: Add a toolbar button "Change drive"

Post by Dreamer »

I see, that the only way to change drive is the Folder Tree, so I suggest to add a toolbar button (next to Favourite) and keyboard shortcut Alt+F1 as in all file managers.

If this cannot be implemented in 1.80, you can create "drive C:", "drive D:"... in the Favourites :wink:

I suggest also to add shortcut for "Show Favourites menu - Ctrl+F1"
ckv

Post by ckv »

Lazy mans add on :wink: . Don't get my support. Anyone else?
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.
marsh
XnThusiast

Re: REQ: Add a toolbar button "Change drive"

Post by marsh »

Dreamer wrote:I see, that the only way to change drive is the Folder Tree, so I suggest to add a toolbar button (next to Favourite) and keyboard shortcut Alt+F1 as in all file managers.
No. You can change drive with the "path box". I never use folder tree.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

marsh wrote:No. You can change drive with the "path box". I never use folder tree.
Yes, but you must manually type C: or D: and press Enter - not a problem for me, but for novice users...

ckv,

If you don't use the folder tree, it's not easy to enable folder tree, find drive, click, disable folder tree...
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer wrote:
marsh wrote:No. You can change drive with the "path box". I never use folder tree.
Yes, but you must manually type C: or D: and press Enter - not a problem for me, but for novice users...
I doubt that novice users will enter paths manually into the address field for navigating. From my point of view, adding an extra drop downlist for the drive doesn't make things clearer.
If you don't use the folder tree, it's not easy to enable folder tree, find drive, click, disable folder tree...
If you don't use folder tree any navigation is difficult. A plane won't fly if you remove the wings...
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

I never use folder tree and navigation is very easy for me - and I'm not the only one:
marsh wrote:...I never use folder tree.
Clo
XnThusiast

Idea---

Post by Clo »

:) Hi !
- Why not compromise?
- I mean : something like 2...3 favourite folders buttons, as "Bookmarks C:" - "Bookmarks D:" and so on.
- This could be solved too easily IF the bookmarks list should be built as a real menu, hence one could add sub-menus for other drives…
- I use rarely the tree in the Browser, just to find a folder to add in the favourite-list…

:mrgreen: K R
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
Danny

Post by Danny »

Dreamer wrote:If this cannot be implemented in 1.80, you can create "drive C:", "drive D:"... in the Favourites :wink:
If there's a way to do it, there's no need to add another option IMO.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Danny wrote:
Dreamer wrote:If this cannot be implemented in 1.80, you can create "drive C:", "drive D:"... in the Favourites :wink:
Yes, we know about that way - and 1000 other users??
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

Ok, I like this idea alot but it will have to wait for v1.81.
Change the Favourites dropdown list to include CD, DVD, FDD, HDD, USB Drives as well and then rename Favourites to Navigation or something else.
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

ckit,

I want a new "change drive" toolbar button.

Anyway, there could be some problems with skins and so on, therefore I agree not in 1.80 - Pierre?
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

Dreamer wrote:ckit,

I want a new "change drive" toolbar button.

Anyway, there could be some problems with skins and so on, therefore I agree not in 1.80 - Pierre?
I did see that the first time, I just thought that doubling up on a menu button would be smarter and therefore cause less problems with skins.
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
Danny

Post by Danny »

Dreamer wrote:
Danny wrote:
Yes, we know about that way - and 1000 other users??
That's just your excuse. The Favourites menu has been there since at least 1.74. Other programs like ACDSee have it, too. So it should be a well known feature. No need to make another button for this. Especially since you cannot customize the mini toolbar.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Danny,

I disagree. It's not a standard way - add 'drives' to favourites.

I still think we need a "Change drive" toolbar button, maybe not in 1.80, but we need it.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Dreamer wrote:Danny,

I disagree. It's not a standard way - add 'drives' to favourites.

I still think we need a "Change drive" toolbar button, maybe not in 1.80, but we need it.
We don't - you do. There are at least as many people who have disagreed on this as supporters. Another button will make the path box smaller, too. Anyway, it's up to Pierre.