Xnview crashes

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

fscltp

Xnview crashes

Post by fscltp »

I was doing well with Xnview and Windows 7 till yesterday when Xnview crashes every time I tried to open. This morning I uninstalled, downloaded the latest and greatest version then installed and opened. Xnview crashed the same way. Refuses to open.

This is what it says. Any ideas?

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: xnview.exe
Application Version: 1.99.0.0
Application Timestamp: 5086a819
Fault Module Name: VCOMP100.DLL_unloaded
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4d5f2a59
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 681d40b4
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid= ... cid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Xnview crashes

Post by xnview »

XnView opens in a folder with movie files?
Pierre.
fscltp

Post by fscltp »

I think it was opening from the last visited folder, which is a catch all of files like paint shop pro, photoshop, jpegs, pdf, stuff I am working on but don't want to save. There are no movie files there. Xnview starts to load then the screen fades (windows 7) then the error message comes up) and it just hangs till I tell it to close the program. After I uninstalled I reinstalled without shutting down or rebooting so maybe that's why it still hung up on opening?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

could you try to rename the xnview.ini?
Pierre.
fscltp

Post by fscltp »

Yep, that did it ! Can you explain why this happened? That is, what made Xnview crash, it started to open but each time would hang. And I am assuming renaming the ini file would force xnview to reset everything back to like it was after a fresh install.

But I would blame my system before I would say Xnview was at fault. I have never had this happen before with Xnview and I am using Windows 7 so maybe something happened. I did use Tune-Up Utilities so maybe that could have caused some problems. At any rate I am thrilled to have my favorite Xnview back again, I just love it. Very useful for graphics.

Thank you for your help
fscltp

Post by fscltp »

I can now confirm that it was a paint shop pro file that is making xnview crash. I took everything out of that folder and added them back one by one until I added the pspfile. To make certain, I took out everything but that one psp file and it was the one that is making xnview crash.

This is a misted tube and I think it is from an earlier version of Paint Shop Pro. Someone had wanted it converted to a higher version of psp as their program couldn't open it. I tried to, but my version Paint Shop Pro 9 would not open it either. However someone else was able to open, convert, and save.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Could you send me the psp file?
Pierre.
fscltp

Post by fscltp »

On its way. I don't think I would worry too much about it, this seems to be from an older version of psp. But I'll send it.
Thanks
Dauks

Post by Dauks »

Hello!
I've got the same problem, described by fscltp, with XnView 2.43 and win 7, but for sure with pdf-files in a folder.
I can't find an xnview.ini-file (by windows search in C:\... with properties all files are shown).
Can you help me, please?
Ralf
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

You should be able to find the location of your .ini file from Tools > Options... > Integration [from memory].
Dauks

Post by Dauks »

Yes, that works! Thanks a lot!