XnViewMP 0.6 - How to get larger folder thumb as previously

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Eyael

XnViewMP 0.6 - How to get larger folder thumb as previously

Post by Eyael »

Hi!
Thanks for the new version of XnViewMP, Pierre !
Now I'm just disappointed that all my folder thumb are no tiny and all the carefully created folder.jpg images I had done are useless because too small. Must be because the folder pic under is now rectangular instead of square like in Windows Explorer or previous versions of XnViewMP and no longer fills up the space allocated to thumbs. Is there a way I could get it back to what it was (something in the config file maybe) ? Thanks for any suggestion.
Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: XnViewMP 0.6 - How to get larger folder thumb as previou

Post by m.Th. »

Eyael wrote:Hi!
Thanks for the new version of XnViewMP, Pierre !
Now I'm just disappointed that all my folder thumb are no tiny and all the carefully created folder.jpg images I had done are useless because too small. Must be because the folder pic under is now rectangular instead of square like in Windows Explorer or previous versions of XnViewMP and no longer fills up the space allocated to thumbs. Is there a way I could get it back to what it was (something in the config file maybe) ? Thanks for any suggestion.
Go to Tools | Settings | Database and change the values of 'Thumbnail Dimensions' to larger values.

Hint: usually photos today have 3:2 or (less common) 4:3 ratio, so, perhaps you can put 300 x 200.

Perhaps you need to go to View | Rebuild Thumbnails or, if you want to rebuild all the thumbnails from all folders to the new size (it will take longer), press the 'Rebuild Thumbnails' button in the same Tools | Settings | Database page.

HTH
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

...also, on the same 'Database' page, doing an Optimize with Remove Empty Directories', 'Clean Thumbs' and 'Clean Files' will certainly help (and not only in this situation).
m. Th.

Eyael

Post by Eyael »

Thanks very much for your helpful answer but unfortunately this is not what I need. Your method would change the size of all my picture thumbnails which is not what I want since they haven't changed with the upgrade. No, what I need to change is the thumbnail for FOLDERS which are displayed above the folder image (I chose 1 picture for folder not 4). The folder image used to be square and fill up the whole space allocated for thumbnails. With version 0.60, it has become rectangular and no longer fills up the space allocated for thumbnails. Therefore the thumbnails chosen for the folder (usually the first image or folder.jpg by default) is much smaller than it used to be. Changing the size of all thumbnails would certainly improve it but then I do no want to change the size of picture thumbnails for a number of reasons. Besides I do not cache thumbnails.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

Eyael wrote:Thanks very much for your helpful answer but unfortunately this is not what I need. Your method would change the size of all my picture thumbnails which is not what I want since they haven't changed with the upgrade. No, what I need to change is the thumbnail for FOLDERS which are displayed above the folder image (I chose 1 picture for folder not 4). The folder image used to be square and fill up the whole space allocated for thumbnails. With version 0.60, it has become rectangular and no longer fills up the space allocated for thumbnails. Therefore the thumbnails chosen for the folder (usually the first image or folder.jpg by default) is much smaller than it used to be. Changing the size of all thumbnails would certainly improve it but then I do no want to change the size of picture thumbnails for a number of reasons. Besides I do not cache thumbnails.
Ok, I understand better (I hope) now.

In fact, IIUC the thing which is missing for you is a "zoom to fit" to the folder thumbnail's size for the folder.jpg or the analogous generated folder image?
m. Th.

Eyael

Post by Eyael »

Yes, that would do the trick ? I was wondering, with previous versions we were able to modify the UI code at will via XnViewMP menu and enter some code. If I could find do something similar to change that bit, it would be great. Hope Pierre reads this at some point and offers some suggestions. I have no other complaints so far :wink:
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

could you post a screenshot of 0.56/0.60 to see the problem?
Pierre.
mai9

Post by mai9 »

m.Th. wrote:Go to Tools | Settings | Database and change the values of 'Thumbnail Dimensions' to larger values.HTH
I suggest you rearrange the settings/thumbnail page because there are the options "create high quality thumbnail" and "create from original image if embedded thumbnail is smaller than thumbnail size". I was checking and unchecking them before finding in this topic that I should be looking at settings/database for thumbnails.

Thanks
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

mai9 wrote: I suggest you rearrange the settings/thumbnail page because there are the options "create high quality thumbnail" and "create from original image if embedded thumbnail is smaller than thumbnail size". I was checking and unchecking them before finding in this topic that I should be looking at settings/database for thumbnails.
How to make that clearer for users??
Pierre.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

xnview wrote:
mai9 wrote: I suggest you rearrange the settings/thumbnail page because there are the options "create high quality thumbnail" and "create from original image if embedded thumbnail is smaller than thumbnail size". I was checking and unchecking them before finding in this topic that I should be looking at settings/database for thumbnails.
How to make that clearer for users??
Yes, I think that, in fact, it is a navigational problem.

Put in the Thumbnail page a button saying 'Go to Thumb DB related settings >>' which will focus the 'Database' page.
m. Th.

Eyael

Post by Eyael »

Hi Pierre !

I could not reinstall version 0.56 bug but I've altered a screen capture of 0.6 to show you how it was.
1. How my folder thumbs now look in version 0.6
3. How my folder thumbs used to look in previous versions
2. How my image thumbs look with all versions

Hope it helps to understand my request (I'd like my folder thumbs to look like #3)

My current settings for thumbnails are :

Create good quality thumbnails (ticked)
Use embedded thumbnail (ticked)
Create from original image is embedded thumbnail is smaller (ticked)
Increase thumbnail details (ticked)
Eyael

Post by Eyael »

Edit from previous message : I could not reinstall version 0.6 BUT not bug ! (I hit the wrong key !)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Eyael wrote: My current settings for thumbnails are :
What is your thumbnail size?
And width/height in Option>Database?
Pierre.
Eyael

Post by Eyael »

What is your thumbnail size?
And width/height in Option>Database?
Width 192
Height 144

What do you mean by size ? And where do I find that information ?
I do not cache my thumbnails.
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

Hello,
... But if you click on "Get thumbnail size" ... in your case Width should be equal to Height (a square) ?
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64