MP and video clips - Some deficiencies

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

B.Douille

MP and video clips - Some deficiencies

Post by B.Douille »

First of all I would say that I like very much the new slideshow mode, with the property pane that pops from the right,the possibility to navigate using the film-strip on the top or the transparent navigation buttons, the possibility to zoom in and out to show a detail during a presentation, the easy way to mark, note or categorise a picture and the transparent video playbar that ease control. Very nice :)

Some issues and bugs related to video clips :

- Videos can be played only in the explorer Preview pane and Full screen. In the last, the only way is to go to full screen / slideshow straight from explorer. In View mode and quick slideshow, video are always skipped, whatever the filtering options.

- In the Custom filter, option video "Show in preview" acts for both explorer Preview pane and Full screen. The option "Show in thumbnail" has no visible effect.

- The option "Autoplay (video)" for View or Fullscreen acts for explorer Preview pane as well (the option "Show in thumbnail" should do the job already). As said before, in View mode it's not possible to show videos with the current version.

Note: Both changes above are managed in the post http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=29720

- In full screen / Slideshow mode, when there is a mix of photos and videos and the option "Autoplay (video)" is off, the content of the display is left unchanged when navigating from a still picture to a video. The display shows the content of still picture with the video playbar at the bottom. What is expected here is either a blank display (background color) or an still extracted from the video (i.e. content of the thumbnail a bit expanded).

- In Full screen / Slideshow mode, where there is a mix of photos and videos, the transparent navigation buttons (next/play/previous) disappear during the 1st video and is no more available for the next photos. Also, the film-stip on the top is still accessible but the properties pane that should appear on the right side of photos does not appear anymore. A restart of MP is needed.

- The delay in a slideshow is set via an option (I usually set to 5000 ~ 15000 ms*). Unfortunately, the duration of video clips is limited by this parameter so we can only see 5 - 15 seconds of our nice movies. The right way to manage this is to ignore the timer, let run the video up to the end before to jump to the next picture (as does XnView).

- Bug with color identification in the explorer: The labels for videos have the same colors as JPEG pictures. Actually it briefly takes the right color and then switch back to the same as JPEG in tens of second (to make it obvious, set to text in white over black).

DB

PS: These problems were pre-existant in previous versions
Last edited by B.Douille on Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Daniel, promoting XnView since 2004, moved to MP (exclusively) years ago (Platform Windows and Linux Ubuntu)
B.Douille

Re: MP and video clips - Some deficiencies

Post by B.Douille »

B.Douille wrote:Some issues and bugs related to video clips
Same with 0.61
Daniel, promoting XnView since 2004, moved to MP (exclusively) years ago (Platform Windows and Linux Ubuntu)
fallout33

Post by fallout33 »

Thanks to the developers for the improvement of the performance which is significantly noticeable compared to my current (old) XnView 1.98.2 version.

Also the thumbnail navigation bar in full screen mode is really practical!
Feature request: possibility to place this thumbnail pane at any side of the screen and not just at the top
B.Douille wrote:[...] In View mode and quick slideshow, video are always skipped, whatever the filtering options. [...]
I am experiencing the same bug. I don't need the video to actually play in XnViewMP. I simply want to get a grey screen or any other kind of information that the current item is a video. Then I can press F3 to open it with the associated program (I prefer video display in VLC). This would be the same behavior of my old XnView 1.98.2 version which I have been using before.
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

From my initial list I would like to prioritise one improvement. Currently this is one that sticks me to the use of the (old) XnView when running an automatic slideshow.
- The delay in a slideshow is set via an option (I usually set to 5000 ~ 15000 ms*). Unfortunately, the duration of video clips is limited by this parameter so we can only see 5 - 15 seconds of our nice movies. The right way to manage this is to ignore the timer, let run the video up to the end before to jump to the next picture (as does XnView).
* In milliseconds :x
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

B.Douille wrote:From my initial list I would like to prioritise one improvement. Currently this is one that sticks me to the use of the (old) XnView when running an automatic slideshow.
* In milliseconds :x
you open a folder with pictures and movies, and use quick slideshow? And the slideshow doesn't wait the end of video?
Pierre.
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

Exactly. We improved this in (old) XnView some time ago.

Best regards,
Daniel
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

xnview wrote: you open a folder with pictures and movies, and use quick slideshow? And the slideshow doesn't wait the end of video?
Fixed! Thank you, now we can let the slideshow run with a mixed content :D Very few systems allows this.

And the below is fixed:
- In full screen / Slideshow mode, when there is a mix of photos and videos and the option "Autoplay (video)" is off, the content of the display is left unchanged when navigating from a still picture to a video. The display shows the content of still picture with the video playbar at the bottom. What is expected here is either a blank display (background color) or an still extracted from the video (i.e. content of the thumbnail a bit expanded).
As well as this one:
- Videos can be played only in the explorer Preview pane and Full screen. In the last, the only way is to go to full screen / slideshow straight from explorer. In View mode and quick slideshow, video are always skipped, whatever the filtering options.
Many thanks for all these improvements