0.61 Windows: Memory Leak problem

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Alucard2k

0.61 Windows: Memory Leak problem

Post by Alucard2k »

Hello I'm experiencing an issue when the memory usage peaks until it uses all available memory.

I'm using XNviewMP 0.61 on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

To reproduce this.

1. Have a download manager or other file transfer program downloading a large number of images.
2. Open XnViewMP and go to the folder in which the pictures are being downloading.
3. Everytime a new image is added XNView will refresh the folder, but in the process the memory usage will increase.
4. Windows will inform there is no memory available and suggest to close some programs.

Let me know if you need additional information.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.61 Windows: Memory Leak problem

Post by xnview »

Alucard2k wrote: 3. Everytime a new image is added XNView will refresh the folder, but in the process the memory usage will increase.
Normal, each time that a file is added some memory data is needed. Do you have a lot of files in this folder? How much is increased the memory?
Pierre.
Alucard2k

Post by Alucard2k »

Hi Pierre, thanks for answering.

I have a list of about 100 files downloading with wget into the folder. I have the folder displayed as thumbnails.
After a while I get a message from windows that there is no more memory available. If I check with task manager I can see that the XnViewMP process is using almost all the available ram.

It looks like for every refresh, more memory is allocated, but it is not released until the folder stops updating with the files downloaded.

If this is the normal behavior, I might not open the folder until all the files have been downloaded.

Regards.

JM
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Alucard2k wrote: If this is the normal behavior, I might not open the folder until all the files have been downloaded.
I don't say that it's normal :) but for each refresh if you have more files some extra memory are needed.
But i can't reproduce...
Pierre.
radojex

Post by radojex »

Hi,
I ran into something similar.

I'm using 0.64 Win 7 x64.

My workflow is:
1) display folder of jpeg photos in XnView
2) in another application (and from another source path) develop a raw photo into jpeg with destination to folder displayed in XnView and with another name
3) display one photo in full screen and then display the following photo (to compare and choose the better one)
4) return to folder view
5) move the worse one to a subfolder of the folder displayed in XnView (so the image count remains the same at the end)

Memory allocation is still higher. I got to about 3GB of memory use by XnView (200 images in a folder processed this way).