Tearing when playing large GIFs

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Lemons22

Tearing when playing large GIFs

Post by Lemons22 »

I use XnView primarily as a GIF viewer, and for 99% of GIFs it works just fine, but when I try to play large GIFs...say 800x800 pixels I get a lot of tearing. I know the tearing isn't part of the GIF as well because when I open them in Firefox they play just fine. Is there some option or plugin I can enable to stop this? I love the player as it is the only one I've found that handles virtually every type of GIF well...it just has this one flaw that I want to fix. Thanks.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Tearing when playing large GIFs

Post by xnview »

could you send me a test file?
Pierre.
Lemons22

Post by Lemons22 »

xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

it plays fine, but perhaps my computer is too fast...
Pierre.
Lemons22

Post by Lemons22 »

Well perhaps I will try it on my laptop, but the GIF plays fine in every other viewer I've tried and I have a very top-of-the-line computer. I will edit this post when I've tried it on my laptop.
thibaud

Post by thibaud »

xnview wrote:it plays fine, but perhaps my computer is too fast...
Pierre,
did you compare it (side by side) with other viewers ?
When testing this gif (I didn't try any other ones) xnviewmp playback rates is significantly slower than chrome of firefox.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

yes right, a little slower from firefox, but the same with other viewers. Strange... Perhaps 40ms is too quick for ui/event environment...
Pierre.
DOS386

Post by DOS386 »

No problem here ... plays fine (and my computer is slowwwwwwwwwww).
There is indeed no WinZIP under my rock.
thibaud

Post by thibaud »

DOS386 wrote:
No problem here ... plays fine (and my computer is slowwwwwwwwwww).
The question isn't if it plays fine, but rather if the playback rate is correct.
ie, firefox, chrome all plays it at a common faster rate. I didn't investigate which is the proper speed..
Lemons22

Post by Lemons22 »

thibaud wrote:The question isn't if it plays fine, but rather if the playback rate is correct.
ie, firefox, chrome all plays it at a common faster rate. I didn't investigate which is the proper speed..
Honestly I don't care about play rate. To me the play rate seems the same as it is in FF. I made this topic because of tearing. I mean...how long are you guys looking at the GIF? Like 3 seconds? It can go a few cycles looking fine and then BAM...tearing...you guys know what tearing is right? It's like when you can see two frames on the screen at once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing

Also, I tried this on my laptop and got the same effect, so it's definitely not a problem inherent to my computer alone.
thibaud

Post by thibaud »

Alright sorry I though you where perhaps referring to the play back rate.
if you have v-sync issues you should probably check out your graphic adapter v-sync settings.
Lemons22

Post by Lemons22 »

thibaud wrote:Alright sorry I though you where perhaps referring to the play back rate.
if you have v-sync issues you should probably check out your graphic adapter v-sync settings.
I've fiddled with my graphics settings already to no effect, plus, as I've said, the GIF plays well in multiple other viewers (Irfanview, FastStone, Firefox, Chrome, etc.). I think it's safe to say at this point the problem is with XnView specifically.
Asday

Post by Asday »

Ooft this thread died a death 5 years ago and the problem still exists, huh? Top result when looking on Google, too.

Y'all wanna fix it at some point, or...?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Asday wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:11 pm Ooft this thread died a death 5 years ago and the problem still exists, huh? Top result when looking on Google, too.

Y'all wanna fix it at some point, or...?
do you have a gif sample?
Pierre.
Squirrelly

Post by Squirrelly »

It doesn't happen a lot but I found one showing it for me:

https://www.derpibooru.org/1159933

Download the full 1920x1080 version. I'm viewing it with XnView Classic (2.48) at 200% windowed (not full screen) on a 4k tv screen. I have a new PC with a GTX 1060 video card and SSD hard drive. So not an old PC issue at least.

For me the tearing is showing up around 1/4 down, so you can most easily see it in the vertical lines of the middle character's moving arms. It may vary for others.

I did manage to capture an image with my camera phone. So can see what I'm seeing. I wasn't holding the camera level. The tear line is actually straight across. You can compare with what are supposed to be horizontal lines at the bottom of the image.

I'm not dying over it, but hope the info helps. It is minimally annoying if you're watching an animated gif like that for a while. Still loving XnView as my favorite image viewer. :-) Thanks!