Three small GUI bugs with tabs in v0.64 win x86

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

budz45
XnThusiast

Three small GUI bugs with tabs in v0.64 win x86

Post by budz45 »

hI,

I have inadvertently discovered two small bugs relating to tabs in XnViewMP 0.64

1.) The text "<Empty>" does not get shown by default on an empty tab (once empty tab's setting has been enabled). This text only displays on the tab after usually configuring the Tab's setting for 'character' or 'pixel' using spinbox

2.) Empty tab does not seem to use it's default 'character' tab width, this is seen after Empty tab is enabled for the first time.

3.) Right-click on view mode tab bar and observe that the "Tab settings" opens the wrong Settings display. So it currently opens General>View>Misc -----> when actually it should open General>interface>Tabs -----> because Pierre gave minor changes to the Settings GUI structure so this is why this is so.

Pierre, I have sent you an email with some video...
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
budz45
XnThusiast

Re: Three small GUI bugs with tabs in v0.64 win x86

Post by budz45 »

here are some screenshots of this bug:
Clipboard 1.png
2014-01-11_052734.png
2014-01-11_052734.png (16.28 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
As stated before, this issue is related to my Ini.

I have sent Pierre my Ini along with some video in a private email.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ok, right
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Bug confirmed and will be fixed. See issue Issue 192 for current status and details.
Pierre.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

budz45 wrote: 1.) The text "<Empty>" does not get shown by default on an empty tab (once empty tab's setting has been enabled). This text only displays on the tab after usually configuring the Tab's setting for 'character' or 'pixel' using spinbox

2.) Empty tab does not seem to use it's default 'character' tab width, this is seen after Empty tab is enabled for the first time.

3.) Right-click on view mode tab bar and observe that the "Tab settings" opens the wrong Settings display. So it currently opens General>View>Misc -----> when actually it should open General>interface>Tabs -----> because Pierre gave minor changes to the Settings GUI structure so this is why this is so.
These are FIXED in XnViewMP 0.68 , thanks :D :D

-----------------
HOWEVER also in XnViewMP 0.68 the tab's name is missing - this still needs to be fixed for "About" tab, "Batch Rename" tab, "Compare" tab
(I have 'About' and 'Batch Rename' open as tabs using an Ini tweak)

I will email my ini to Pierre to test, please fix
Clipboard 2.png
Clipboard 2.png (26.17 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

budz45 wrote: HOWEVER also in XnViewMP 0.68 the tab's name is missing - this still needs to be fixed for "About" tab, "Batch Rename" tab, "Compare" tab
(I have 'About' and 'Batch Rename' open as tabs using an Ini tweak)
right
Pierre.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

...and a blank tab name for "Batch Convert" tab. :)

It would be best to have in the tab name the completed percentage of the Batch Convert action, but even a static text will do.

To activate it, keep Shift pressed when chose the Tools | Batch Convert.

A second related request is to have allInTab ini tweak in GUI - nowadays all DAMs work in parallel (modeless) aka. "in separate tabs" and it is a great impediment for us to acquire new users because of default modal nature of XnView MP.

I suggest to put somewhere in Settings | Interface a checkbox for this and also in the Configuration Wizard the same one. And make the default value 'checked'. Personally I don't see the value of modal for Convert, Rename, Compare - even for IPTC dialog.

In a tab, the things are more organized and the user isn't constrained to maximize each time the window to gain more space.

So, in short, two requests:

1. A name for "Batch Convert" tab.

2. A GUI checkbox for allInTab INI setting in Tools | Settings | Interface as well as in the Configuration Wizard
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Personally I think that Ini Tweaks should be added via the "About" menu as a new tab inside "About" named 'Ini inputs'
But that is a separate issue.

------------------------

Ok, I have just emailed Pierre another video concerning a bug with '<Empty>' tab losing it's tab name after the 'Compare' tab is closed
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

budz45 wrote:Personally I think that Ini Tweaks should be added via the "About" menu as a new tab inside "About" named 'Ini inputs'
Perhaps. But here we don't speak about "Ini tweaks" generally like in Firefox' about:config "webpage" where an user must really know what dom.debug.propagate_gesture_events_through_content or dom.idle-observers-api.fuzz_time.disabled means. We don't speak here about features which very few and very specialized users will use them and in rare situations.

We speak about a common, powerful, easy to understand and safe feature - the possibility to have a certain processing in a modal window - IOW the user must wait the program to finish in order to continue his work - or in a modeless window - IOW the user CAN do other things while the program do the processing. The modeless paradigm is common place today in all programs in the thumbnail building phase and in some programs (most notably Lightroom, ACDSee, IDImages, Photo Supreme etc.) in almost all other processing sub-engines.

The code is here, even if some things need minor tweaks which could bring big enhancements (see here: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=29204 ) - the most important thing which is left is the GUI surface for this.

I speak about taking out this feature from "INI tweak" status and promote it to the "Fist-Class Citizen" statute. It will make almost 'magically' the program much more powerful for many users.
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -