Scanner in XnViewMP

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

EuM_Expert

Scanner in XnViewMP

Post by EuM_Expert »

My Scanner does not appear in XnViewMP Version 0.72 x64 (Dec 19 2014).

Windows 7, 64bit.
Scanner is a HP OfficeJet Pro 8620.
The HP scanner software works perfectly, so the scanner is well installed and working.

Just in XnViewMP nothing happens at all when i click the scanner symbol.
Also nothing happens at all when using the Menu Items under File -> Select TWAIN source ...., or File -> TWAIN Scan.

Did some research in the forums here and on Google.
Some post suggested to add some SCAN entry to xnview.ini, but did not help even after playing around a bit.

Any hints?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Scanner in XnViewMP

Post by xnview »

If you use XnViewMP 64bits, you need 64bits driver for your scanner
Pierre.
EuM_Expert

Post by EuM_Expert »

Oh Pierre, thank you for the reply.

I dont know how to find out which driver (32 or 64 bit) the HP setup installed. Did not find any hints on Google, however someone at amazon reported that "its disappointing that HP has no 64 bit drivers for this printer ...). So I assume they have 32 bit drivers that are compatible to 64 bits environments.

Do you recommend installation of XNViewMP 32bits, or go back to XNView?

It's sad that scanning does not work anymore ....

Thanks Pierre!
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

EuM_Expert wrote:Do you recommend installation of XNViewMP 32bits, or go back to XNView?
From memory -- there have been a number of reports like yours in the last year or two -- the problem is actually the lack of x64 TWAIN support in Windows or scanner software...

The simple answer is to use XnViewMP x32 for scanning, but you can also have XnViewMP x64 installed at the same time and use that if you prefer for other tasks.

Note: A 64-bit operating system requires a 64-bit scanner driver, but you likely already have that installed by default. If you are able to scan using the scanner manufacturer's software, then you have the correct driver installed. But scanning from 64-bit applications using TWAIN currently isn't possible.
Last edited by cday on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

EuM_Expert wrote:Did not find any hints on Google, however someone at amazon reported that "its disappointing that HP has no 64 bit drivers for this printer ...). So I assume they have 32 bit drivers that are compatible to 64 bits environments.
Confirmed: OJ8620_198.exe (170 MB) comes with 64-bit WIA and 32-bit TWAIN drivers.
G. Rule ([url=http://www.amazon.com/review/R2LH3T44IWC5KK/]Review of HP OfficeJet Pro 8620[/url]) wrote:Edit: Updated to 4 stars after I discovered (unlike what I originally wrote below) there IS a 64-bit WIA scanner driver included, even tho there is no 64-bit TWAIN driver currently. WIA is Microsoft's answer to TWAIN. The app I use most often (Paint Shop Pro X6) for some reason accesses WIA devices in a separate menu item than TWAIN devices, so I missed that at first. I've now confirmed that my 8620 does have a 64-bit WIA driver installed and I can access the scan app natively through my 64 bit image editing application (Paint Shop Pro X6-64).
EuM_Expert

Post by EuM_Expert »

Installed XnViewMP 32 bit version.
Now everything works fine.
Thanks!