Start Up in Browser Mode?

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Lemons22

Start Up in Browser Mode?

Post by Lemons22 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when opening XnView from a picture file (Right clicking the picture > open with > XnView) there is no way to open directly into browser mode. You can either choose from opening in two different fullscreen modes, or "normal" which is view mode. Hell, even when I open with "Fullscreen - Browser" when I exit that fullscreen it flips over to view mode! What they heck!

So yea...please make it possible to open to browser mode. Thanks.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Start Up in Browser Mode?

Post by xnview »

if you start directly XnView, you are in browser mode
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

When opening an image file (e.g. by double clicking on it), the use case is that the user wants to view the image. And after viewing the image is closed, again. If you want to browse for images, you start XnView and then the browser is opened. These are the normal use cases supported by XnView.

Variations of these standard use cases are possible, though: By double-clicking on an image in View mode, the browser will be opened (while the image remains opened). Is this the behaviour you would like to have?
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

Hello,
Right, I think than the request is this one (and in fact is useful for me too ;-) for the standard & MP version):

The standard use: When opening an image file from the system file explorer (e.g. by double clicking on it), the use case is that the user wants to view the image. And after viewing the image into the Full screen mode, XnView(or MP) is closed.

The requested use (as option): When opening an image file from the system file explorer (e.g. by double clicking on it), the requested case is that the user wants to "preview the image", so into the XnView Browser mode only.
xnview wrote:if you start directly XnView, you are in browser mode
... Yes but not into the good directory, to view/preview some others images files quickly ;-)
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
helmut

Post by helmut »

oops66 wrote:... Yes but not into the good directory, to view/preview some others images files quickly ;-)
O.k.. What about my above suggestion (double click on image to open browser). And why not mouse-right click on the appropriate folder containing the image and then use "Browse with XnView" in the context menu?

(If XnView's behaviour was changed in the requested way you will no longer be able to directly click on an image attached to an email and view it. Instead, you will always see XnView browser with the preview, only).
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

helmut wrote:...O.k.. What about my above suggestion (double click on image to open browser). And why not mouse-right click on the appropriate folder containing the image and then use "Browse with XnView" in the context menu?
... Yes for me it's ok. (but not so easy, because I am under Linux - Ubuntu and, under Nautilus, I only have the "open with" choose (not the "Browse within XnView" choose)
helmut

Post by helmut »

I just had a look at the command line options of XnView (menu "Info > Command line help"). There it says:
-browser : Launch the browser
You can use 'xnview <folder name>' to start browser.

By modifying file association in the registry a direct start in browser mode should be feasible.
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

.. Yes thank you Helmut, but I speak for the general case (in fact I mostly (almost) only use XnViewMP now) and I do not have this option/parameter "-browser" ... But you are right (this parameter exits under the classic XnView version, at least into the v2.25) ... So this should solve the Lemons22 issue.
helmut

Post by helmut »

oops66 wrote:.. Yes thank you Helmut, but I speak for the general case (in fact I mostly (almost) only use XnViewMP now) and I do not have this option/parameter "-browser" ... But you are right (this parameter exits under the classic XnView version, at least into the v2.25) ... So this should solve the Lemons22 issue.
O.k.. So for XnView Classic this issue should be resolved. For XnView MP this is still an issue.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

oops66 wrote:.. Yes thank you Helmut, but I speak for the general case (in fact I mostly (almost) only use XnViewMP now) and I do not have this option/parameter "-browser" ...
why do you want -browser on XnViewMP?
Pierre.
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

xnview wrote:
oops66 wrote:.. Yes thank you Helmut, but I speak for the general case (in fact I mostly (almost) only use XnViewMP now) and I do not have this option/parameter "-browser" ...
why do you want -browser on XnViewMP?
Hello Pierre & Helmut,
The explanation is just above (a faster and more friendly way to preview images within a specific folder) ... because i prefer to disable the thumbnails into Nautilus (spent to much time to browse sd cards and images folders, for example) ... so to release the media.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

oh, you want to double click on a picture file, but start XnViewMP with browser in the folder?
Pierre.
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

xnview wrote:oh, you want to double click on a picture file, but start XnViewMP with browser in the folder?
Yes exactly ... but a workaround already exists by opening in fullscreen an image ... then "échap/esc" ... then click onto the browser icon ... then escape again to close.