JPG image sizes in preview

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Ty

JPG image sizes in preview

Post by Ty »

This is a long-time bug that I should have reported years ago. And I'm surprised that somebody else hasn't. Perhaps there's some reason for this--I admit I haven't researched the subject/problem.

The problem is that when you change the thumbnail size to very large, the JPG images--only--stay at the same small size. Other image formats--at least PNG--grow as they should, but the JPGs stay the same small size.

Please see the attached three images which should illustrate the problem. Note that "001.jpg" and "001.png" are exactly the same image except for file format.

Thanks.

PS. Look at the images in this order: 005, 006, 007.

PPS. Hello to Helmut, XnTriq, JohnFred and all you other old-timers (and of course Pierre). Somebody please say "Hey Ty, we really want that cool new documentation." I'm having motivational problems but can do the job if anybody actually cares. The wiki idea didn't seems to work out too well.
Attachments
Preview size = 768x576
Preview size = 768x576
preview size = 384x288
preview size = 384x288
preview size = 192x144
preview size = 192x144
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: JPG image sizes in preview

Post by XnTriq »

Good to have you back, Ty!
Ty wrote:The problem is that when you change the thumbnail size to very large, the JPG images--only--stay at the same small size. Other image formats--at least PNG--grow as they should, but the JPGs stay the same small size.
It's one of those often-overlooked settings.
Ty wrote:PPS. Hello to Helmut, XnTriq, JohnFred and all you other old-timers (and of course Pierre).
John is no longer with us. We lost him in March :-(
Ty

Post by Ty »

Thanks, XnTriq; solved the problem. I would think that the default setting for that setting--Use embedded thumbnail--should be NO / unchecked. What do you think? Seems like it's a source of on-going confusion. Pierre?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Ty wrote:I would think that the default setting for that setting--Use embedded thumbnail--should be NO / unchecked. What do you think? Seems like it's a source of on-going confusion.
Searching the forum made me realize just how often users run into this issue.
m.Th. ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=28595&p=113823#p113823]XnView Database- and blurred thumbnails questions[/url]) wrote:IMHO it is an usability mistake since today the embedded thumbnails for the most common file type (JPG) are much smaller than the actual size of the thumbnail in the category of the programs in which XnViewMP competes. For a new installation IMHO the default values would be 'checked' for both checkboxes.
So, yes, I think this option should be turned off by default (although this will slow down the browser).